FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Overcrowded SkyClubs...A Thing Of The Past?
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:49 am
BenA

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I know people who decided not to renew their SC membership as a result of the same day DL or partner flight requirement. They'll largely be gone from the lounge (unless they acquire credit cards for access when flying DL or pay for single entry passes) but so will their annual membership fees.
While folks using an SC while flying a different airline will definitely be gone, a lot of the rest of us just switched to an Amex Platinum card. Same exact access ability I’d get by spending a choice benefit, plus a host of other goodies, including Priority Pass and bucketloads of free money between the $200 Uber credit, $200 fee credit, $100 Saks credit, international airline program, free hotel status, and more.

Maybe Delta’s reimbursements from Amex for my visits will be more valuable to them than the extra 25k SkyMiles they had to give me as a choice benefit and the revenue they’re missing out in from having me not select a DL cobranded card, but it seems unlikely to me.

If they’d preserved same day access when flying other airlines - a benefit I used super infrequently - I probably wouldn’t have done any of this and would still be a Delta Amex and SkyClub member. I’m not mad - I’m better off now than before thanks to the kick in the pants to change my card strategy. But I’m definitely a little befuddled.

Given that they spent the time building the ability to check into the SkyClub without swiping your card if it’s in your profile this year, I imagine I’m not the only one that has gone this direction...