FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion
Old Jan 29, 2019, 5:48 am
Dr. HFH
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by trueblu
My family (wife, 9 yo daughter and ~2 yo son) and I will be arriving to DMK this sunday afternoon from HKT. We'll have one large suitcase, 1 big bag, stroller, and 3-4 smaller carry-on type bags.

We'll be staying at the IC in Bangkok. Assuming that their car service will be ridiculously expensive, what options will we have at the airport?
Define "ridiculously expensive." You're staying at the IC, hardly a budget property. A Mercedes S class sedan is approximately USD $100. That will probably be large enough, from your description. A van is available for slightly more. While hotel car services are essentially always more expensive than AOT or other options, they're incredibly easy. Driver already knows who you are and where you're going. S/he telephones the hotel just before you get there, and staff is typically awaiting your arrival at the front door. IMO this just enhances the luxury experience of staying at a top place like this. When I arrive at BKK, I always use my hotel's car service if I anticipate that there's a possibility that I may be stressed. After I've been flying for 25 or 30 hours, I want arrival to be as easy and mindless as possible.

And, yes, I've used the hotel car service even on a short flight like arrival from HKT. A couple of kids, a number of bags, easy for a minor burp to escalate. I love having someone waiting for me holding a sign with my name on it as I exit bag claim. Then I know that I can relax, stop thinking, and everything will be taken care of properly. Only you can decide what that's worth to you. For reference, my hotel charges closer to USD $65 for this.