FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - JW Marriott Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:57 pm
hhoope01
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Back home this past weekend from a 6 night stay (1 night on points, 5 nights cash) in a Club 91 access room. The rate I had included $100/night credit for incidental charges to the room. I had been told each $100 had to be spent the day it was credited or you lose it. When I checked-in, the Club 91 attendant told me that while I would see a $100/night credit, it would add up to $500 for me to spend as any amount through the week. That meant the $200 SPA massage charge was fully covered. ^

There is still construction going on, but I couldn't hear anything from my room. So it wasn't a problem for me at least. Club 91 comes with transportation to/from the airport, access to the lounge (opens at 7am and closes at 10pm each day.) The lounge is on the 14th floor, but the room I was given was on the 12th which was a bit of a pain as that meant I had to wait for an elevator any time I wanted to go to the lounge. My LTPP status did not get may a room upgrade unfortunately, but it did get me a 10% discount in the on-prem stores. Note that I didn't really push hard for an upgrade either as I didn't really need a suite room with this stay (just my wife and I), but if I had it to do over, I would push harder for a room on the 14th floor with the lounge. The hotel didn't seem that crowded and there weren't very many people out by the pools. So finding chairs and umbrellas wasn't an issue. We did ask and a cabana rental would have been either $130 or $160/day depending on whether you wanted one facing the pool or the ocean.

The food in the Club 91 lounge was decent to good and it was enjoyable, but my wife definitely couldn't eat there everyday for all our meals. She wanted to try other things. And even though the dinner in the club comes from one of a different restaurant each night, it wasn't nearly as good as going to the restaurant itself. If you like an evening drink, from 6pm-9pm I do believe all the drinks are free. My personal opinion is that while Club 91 access was nice, it wouldn't be anywhere worth paying a lot of money for it. We ended up getting it as the rate was only $80/night more than a Premium View room (which a Club 91 room is as well) plus it came with the $100/night extra. So the hotel essentially paid us $20/night to get a Club 91 room.

Overall, I liked the resort and would be willing to come back again, but unless there was a similar deal to what I had this trip, I wouldn't upgrade to Club 91.