FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What Route(s) do You Wish UA Flew? [Archive thread]
Old Jan 26, 2019, 11:24 am
Billygreg

Programs: Mileage Plus 1k, 2.3MM Flyer, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by npei

I sat next to UA SJC gm (Rick) during one of my SJC-DEN-BOS flights before Xmas. We talked about likelihood for SJC-LAX , SJC-IAD, SJC-EWR (reinstate) as I prefer SJC smoother operations vs. SFO ATC situations. He said UA only owns 1 gate in SJC and often “borrow” landing gates from other airlines to juggle schedules. He mentioned HQ does assign priority to new route(s) based on business catalyst or competitive response. SJC-EWR was quickly created in response to AS attacking EWR hub, but given the generally lower yields on both AS and UA SJC-EWR flights, and UA needing the planes for other routes, HQ decided to drop it.

With Amazon HQ2 in Crystal City as business catalyst, and UA gate-challenged at SFO-DCA while SFO-IAD has many flights, it is plausible SJC-IAD may be prioritized in 2H2019. I sure hope AS add SJC-IAD to induce UA to add this route even faster
Have been begging for years to see IAD-SJC reinstated. Used to be a nice 7PM take off, landing around 9:30 and a quick rental car and a local hotel. I miss it a lot. Not as interested in SJC back though as that is likely to be a 8AM flight and I rarely waste full days on flights back east so I'll still be stuck on the pinkeye out of SFO. But I love the logic here and am ever hopeful (although always disappointed) that this flight will return.