FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travel Expenses: Dumb Things your Company has Done
Old Jan 23, 2019, 2:46 pm
COSPILOT

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I almost feel like we need seperate threads for the same topic, but different environments of frequent travelers. Many appear to be consultants and contract type people, of which expenses are possibly handled differently and likely more fixed than lets say someone in a sales role, such as myself, with a commission check every quarter that is based on profit within my territory. Sometimes I'm travelling alone, other times I'm traveling with a large group.

Defining your job changes things as evidenced by not only my responses, but the wide variety of responses. For example, I've expensed very expensive nights in Vegas multiple times, including $1,000 dinners, and at the clients request, $5,000 at Sapphires. It's my job to justify the expenses, some months might be 5K, others might be 30K. But that is sales which is very different than the consultant and govt. contractor work. So yes, I make not only a base, but a hefty commission as well doing what I do, and despite my living large at night with a client, I'm content with a free breakfast at the hotel in the morning, crap coffee and all.