FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travel Expenses: Dumb Things your Company has Done
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:18 am
Often1
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by emma69
There are very many instances where the contracts signed could have benefits to the individual responsible for signing, especially in jurisdictions where ethics are more loosey goosey. Even on the above board side, there could be inducements for an individual, for example (to put it in FT terms) someone signing a contract with a hotel for a company retreat because they were offered personal points / miles despite the fact it would cost the company an extra $20,000 compared to another property. You have to trust that the individual will act in the interests of the company regardless of personal inducements.

As a result of the work we do, the type of relationships we have etc. we don't really have expense policies - no maximum amounts, no per diems, if someone loses a receipt chances are no one will even ask the question. There isn't even a standard expense form to be completed, and most people throw receipts in an envelope and let accounting work it out. Since there is inference that I somehow have an issue with scrutiny, I will point out every single expense I send to accounting is itemized on a spreadsheet, sorted by transaction type and then by date, with a short description where necessary. I keep track of cash expenses without receipts meticulously (such as tips) while away, and submit them in detail as well, even tho no one would bat an eyelid if I said "$200 on tips" instead. All receipts are photocopied, and filed with a copy of the spreadsheet. This is in part selfish (I have had accounting mess up and send back cheques for far less than the expenses) and in part because I want to ensure everything is documented, should anyone have questions down the line (I won't remember what a receipt written in Japanese characters was for 3 months down the road, but if it is on the spreadsheet I know it was a client dinner, where a senior person insisted on ordering champagne, hence the higher than normal amount).

On the food v hotel thing, that is a weird claim. It's like saying that because you chose to fly American Airlines, you shouldn't have dinner before you fly because the onboard mystery meat should be good enough because you chose the airline. I have stayed in hotels where it was literally the only option in the town, doesn't mean their receptionist cum bellboy cum chef can make anything edible. In places with more than one option, it seems you are saying it makes sense to opt for the Ritz Carlton at $800 a night because they have a breakfast I think is decent and a room I think is decent, rather than the perfectly adequate hotel room at a lower end hotel for $300 a night that serves awful food options, and spend $15 on breakfast elsewhere. Hey, I will stay at the RC if that is the choice, no issue, but why would the quality of a hotel room and bed have anything to do with the quality of the food (especially in places where the hotel outsources F&B to a chain that rents space in their property).
People make their own choices.

However, when it comes to business development, client courtesies and the like, the per diem concept does not work. Per diem is for people who are being reimbursed for their own personal sustenance. If you are expected to entertain, than you do so within whatever constraints are imposed by the law and your employer's policies.