FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - China and Japan on TG/JL/QF Y, CX J
View Single Post
Old Jan 23, 2019, 5:01 am
antebellum

Programs: A3 Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Amex Platinum
Since multiple TG lounges were packed to the brim, BR lounge closed and SQ lounge also packed, strolling around the terminal must be a good idea (and gaining lots of steps too). I had 4 hours during morning "rush hour", the lounge situation wouldn't be better anytime soon.

Full of Disney-themed duty free promotion around the airport. Meh. I'll pass that.

4 hours are pretty easy to kill... you know what? Another remote gate. Since I had chosen bulkhead when the plane was scheduled on A350-900, then swapped to 777-300ER (and exit row), and then at the gate, swapped again to antique 777-200 (perhaps just as old as JAL 777-200 I've flown on HKG-HND later on) and assigned me at a regular seat. Delayed an hour as well. After some back and forth with gate agents, they were nice enough to honour an exit row seat for me. Travel drama never ends, hah!

Bangkok BKK to Guangzhou CAN
THAI TG 668
A350-900 777-300ER 777-200 (swapped twice!)
9:40am-1:20pm
December 12, 2018
Economy 50H (Exit Row)

Another bus gate? Come on THAI. This is pathetic.

One (and only) good thing about remote gate was a clearer view of the bird.

My seat today. No one took my row, but the armrest tray table prevented me from making fake "flat bed". Hah. As usual, some obligatory evil-eye.

We must had some technical issues, no wonder why its delayed. The ground agents stayed onboard for half an hour. Some eye candy here, courtesy of THAI:

Wow. Talk about unlimited legroom.

IFE on this plane is even more (out)dated, and screen resolution is terrible. Remind you again, BYO entertainment if you're flying THAI.

Completes with a grainy bottom-view camera.

I pre-booked seafood meal on this sector, and it was pretty good this time. Smoked trout with potato salad rather than fruit for entree, and spinach linguini with mixed seafoods in creamy sauce for main. Mango cheesecake as dessert to end. One of the tastier Y meals I had.

Meh. Those aren't very comfy. For intra-Asia shorthaul? Passable, but for treks to MEL or AKL, simply not okay.

CAN opened new Terminal 2 not long ago, while the new terminal were impressive, on the other hand, it was sterile and not user-friendly, too big to navigate. Now China asks all foreigners to collect fingerprints before proceeding to immigration, and that alone takes 30 minutes already with few machines and 10+ pax deep queue per machine, and another long queue for immigration (fingerprint collection ≠ automated passport control), and compulsory baggage screening after collecting bag, in total, it takes well over an hour to leave the airport after an flight.

After all, THAI delivered what it should be, a regular experience onboard Economy Class, with no extras you can expect. The hour delay on the second segment was annoying though. Then, the ticket was only A$550, not expensive at all.

Last edited by antebellum; Jan 23, 2019 at 5:06 am