FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Influencer" Contact for AA
View Single Post
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:33 am
84fiero

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by erik123
We still don't know why you want this info and your response sounds evasive.
It's not evasive but I could see it looking weird if you're not familiar with the term. The OP wants the information for themselves, in order to contact AA and lobby the airline to provide a free flight, which the OP would review online (blog and/or social media). The unspoken supposed benefit to AA is positive exposure of AA to the OP's online followers, i.e., "influencing" said followers' perception of the AA brand - hence the appellation of "influencer". Which refers to someone who is not a journalist, travel critic/writing professional, or even the more serious commercial travel bloggers - the types of folks who traditionally might occasionally be provided gratis trips or flights for their review. "Influencers" aren't necessarily celebrities (most are not). Rather, the "influencer" may be totally unknown outside of their social media circle - but may have a bunch of followers on social media (sometimes the followers are fake or purchased - not implying the OP has such, but it definitely happens). Such individual then fishes for various companies to provide free goods or services for their review, on the basis that they are "influential" - citing their follower count, reposts, likes, and similar as evidence. Or occasionally the company may reach out to the person if they are prominent in social media circles relevant to the company.

IME you see it more with minor products - makeup, various nutritional supplements, articles of clothing - where it's cheap and easy to throw someone a bone, but it does happen occasionally with airlines or other travel providers. A few "influencers" may actually be effective in generating some extra buzz, but most are merely a legend in their own mind (again, not directing towards the OP, just describing the general situation). I've even come across someone whose stated job is an "agent" for "social media influencers". Their star client had something like 10% of the number of followers as a parody Twitter account for a bird that I follow.

As to the OP's query, I'd not be surprised if AA isn't specifically invested in the concept to the point of having a particular point of contact. Maybe their Twitter account I guess.