FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Rude to suggest that people line up before boarding?
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:32 pm
ibrandsguest

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Rude to suggest that people line up before boarding?

Today I was waiting for my flight, just before boarding. At the gate, like most American Airlines gates, there are 2 clearly-marked boarding lanes: one for zones 1-4 (first class and other elites) and the other for zones 5-9 (main cabin). People usually mill around the boarding lanes, but they don't go past the sign where the lanes begin; rather, they wait in an unorganized way around the sign for the boarding lanes, with nobody wanting to move right up to the sign, or into the lane.

One middle-aged white guy behind me said, "For everyone in zone 1, why don't we just go ahead and line up, and go ahead and move into the boarding lane and wait on the side of the lane? That way, boarding will be faster and nobody can cut in line, and if there's a Concierge Key member, who boards first, the person can just go in front."

People started to actually line up, but then one person grumbled something about "rude" and "white privilege", and people stopped. So there were 4 people in the boarding lane, all lined up, and others still waiting outside the boarding lane.

I think that it's an excellent idea to announce that we can just line up-even if it's another passenger who said it. How is that rude? I don't think that it is.

Thanks.