FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Big change on Upgrade policy Ex-AMS ( maybe more EU)
Old Jan 18, 2019, 3:16 am
Hollandair
Used to be guidogh

Programs: FB Ultimate, Hertz Platinum, Star Aliiance Gold
Basically we have a situation that if you hold a Y, B or M ticket you can upgrade if space available until Check-in opens. After that it is not possible anymore, I really dont get it. If is a revenue issue, then they also should not allow it prior check-in.

Again, D1 cabins are typically sold out, or very close to selling out days before departure Ex-AMS ( you can check expertflyer). So in my opinion an argument of people not booking J because they can easily upgrade in AMS doesnt hold up. It is a gamble, only to be taken if you would not mind flying .

Everybody here says it is a mess at AMS, but is it not pure incompentence of DL that it is not working. AMS is probably the biggest DL hub in Europe with dozens of flights leaving and arriving every day. There are DL-employees in AMS, so structure it. give guidlines. I do not believe KL would mess up if it is clear how it works. KL-agents are generally experienced and good in what they do. Instruct, monitor and adjust. Thisis what they can do:

- up till now upgrading could take place at a Transer desk, the lounge, and check-in desk. Why not agreeing that it can only be done at a central Transfer desk. People who work there will be clearly instructed.

1.GUC clears
2. after all GUC clear and there are still seats open, mileage, or paid upgrades go according to a set schedule ( say 40-60K miles).

This way DL can optimalize both DM statisfaction and extra income or mileage burn.

Finally, what are Skymiles worth to a european customer? only buying full roundtrips with miles? Thanks but no. From now on I am actively avoiding DL metal. Probably you will say they wont miss me, thats fine. But I am probably not the only one.