FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - retaliation by American Airlines suing in small claims court?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:53 am
Often1
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
That's because they generally don't sue. This is what courts are for -- to recover damages. If the damages are legitimate, that's not frivolous.

On one occasion (3 week trip) I had over $8000 worth of clothing in a single suitcase bag (2x $2000 suits, 1x $1500 jacket, 2x $700 pairs of shoes, several shirts @ $100-$200 each, assorted other clothing). I don't think that this situation is THAT uncommon. Now, had my bag been delayed 1-2 days, I probably would have asked for minimal compensation, but, had it been lost or stolen, I certainly would have been going through the courts if they tried to limit their liability at $3500.

Claims that "the law" limits their liability are incorrect. The DOT prevents them from limiting their liability to less than a certain amount. The law says that the airlines have to follow DOT regulations. There is no DOT regulation (and certainly no law) that limits their liability to $3500. They may, in their CoC, attempt to limit their liability to $3500. Whether that is enforceable is a question for the courts. It's certainly not frivolous to bring that question before the court.
Wrong.

DOT does set the maximum liability for loss or damage ($3,500) for domestic tickets (and the Montreal Convention sets those limits for international (approximately $1,650 per passenger). This is the plain English link to the DOT consumer Guidance. It contains links to the specific 14 CFR rules.

It is worth reading before giving advice to others so that they are not unpleasantly surprised. In particular, if you are going to pack $7,000 in clothing into a checked bag, you would be well-advised to declare the excess value at check-in (and pay the additional fee) or to maintain proper travel insurance with coverage limits sufficient to meet your needs.

https://www.transportation.gov/lost-...%20liabilities