FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - IHG 1Q 2019 Multi Brand Promo (15 JAN - 30 APR) - registration open
Old Jan 16, 2019, 3:57 pm
darthbimmer

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Concerto
For me, among those tasks above, the killer is this weekend stay involving a Saturday and one other night.
The difficulty of doing two 2-night weekend stays is a big part of the reason I've chosen to sit this one out. I make weekend trips at least once a month and always consider IHG properties when doing so, but many of my weekend trips are 1-nighters. And many of those that are 2 nights are "1 night here, 1 night there". It's generally only once or twice a year that I stay a whole weekend at one hotel. Now IHG wants me to do that twice in one quarter with them for a small bonus.

If I might make a suggestion, I believe IHG going forward should think about doing much more simplified versions of these promotions, along the lines of the current Hilton one: you get 2,000 points for each booking, and an extra 10,000 after each 5th stay.
I think IHG and HH are trying to incentivize slightly different behavior with their promos. HH's traditionally simple bonuses that reward every stay/night are saying, "Stay with us, not our competitor." IHG's task-oriented bonuses say, "Stay with us more than you have in the past." That includes not just switching routine stays from other brands but stretching your travel pattern with extra days, brands, and locations you normally don't travel.