FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA 777-300ER / 77W Premium Economy & Best PE Seat, Service
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:25 pm
IADCAflyer

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by lkar
I am looking at booking LAX-TYO. I can fly the 789 to NRT or the 77W to HND.

I can't fly in the bulkhead in the 77W because it's an exit row and I'm flying with an under 15. I can fly the bulkhead in the 789.

So my choice is between 17 A/C on the 77W or 9 J/L on the 789. I haven't flown the product on either plane. Is there a significant difference in PE between the two aircraft? All other things being equal, I think I would prefer the bulkhead so I have the extra legroom and don't have to worry about anyone reclining into me. Though, I have a slight preference for HND over NRT. Thoughts?
I've flown both in those seats. Its a close call. I like 17AC on the 77W. I see where you are coming from on the bulkhead on Row 9 on the 789. I have two gripes on bulkhead/emergency exit rows (16 on the 77W and 9 on the 789).

First - a minor nit. If you are in the first row, you must stow any video monitors during taxi, takeoff, and landing. The FAs do enforce that rule, and sometimes you could be losing 30 to 45 minutes of video time - for whatever thats worth. You're facing the wall while your fellow passengrers are watching TV.

Second - a more annoying nit. Maybe it was just me, but I found the positioning of the video box for the monitor to be somewhat annoying on the 789. It protrudes out a bit and makes you have to position your legs slightly askew. I had a fellow passenger also comment on that.

That being said, I do like the fold out seat rests that are found in the bulkhead rows better than the pedal rests found in non-bulkhead rows.

A non-seat factor to consider: I find the higher cabin humidity level of the 789 preferable to the 777W. I do not feel as headachy on the 789 as I do other aircraft...