FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Has BA thought about starting a 2nd daily SYD flight LHR-PER-SYD!?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:14 am
jk156

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Several decades ago (~1993?) I flew BA LHR-SIN?-PER-MEL. SIN may been BKK. Will still have the ticket somewhere in a storage box. I did join BAEC and got zero avois.
BA used to fly LHR-SIN-MEL until 2006.
The ME3 airlines make it hard for any others, given their geographic position for transits. And now the Asian airlines offer Eu flights.
Many people down the back only consider price.

Only AU & NZ based airlines can fly domsetic flights (for sale) in Australia. And zero chance of that changing.
Over the years several foreign airlines have had flight between Au cities, but not available for sale.
Having been travelling LON-MEL regularly for the past decade, I'm struck (particularly recently) how many options there are. On OW alone, I've got multiple options; CX, QR and MH all offer good connections with their London flights, and while the QF 'flagship' route via PER is usually a non-option as long as I'm paying for my own ticket, in practice their LHR-SYD Kangaroo route connects neatly with their daily MEL-SIN A380 service. (An aside: once QF's A380s are refurbished and their new F lounge open in SIN, for a OWE a SIN layover becomes as attractive a proposition as HKG!). And if I really want to go with BA as far as HKG or SIN, they already codeshare with CX and QF for short onward connections to MEL.

So really, I'm spoilt with options - and there is no shortage of capacity - even before I've started looking at the rest of the ME3 options, and more outlandish ones like connecting in PVG. So absent a killer product (maybe new CW will change this...), it's hard to see how tying up 2/3 airframes on a new LON-MEL route would deliver worthwhile returns for BA...