Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Has BA thought about starting a 2nd daily SYD flight LHR-PER-SYD!?

Old Jan 8, 19, 8:10 am
Original Poster

First is the B789 engine issues with RR resolved yet!? I just read that QF's most profitable route and highest load factor is the daily LHR-PER service which continues onto MEL. Since BA only serves SYD daily via SIN how about replacing or launching a 2nd daily via PER!? As far as I can see this reduces the flight time by ~1 hour west-bound against the winds.
Old Jan 8, 19, 8:14 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Can non-Australian operators operate 8th freedom flights in Australia?
Old Jan 8, 19, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I think that the hope that there is traffic scope for a second LHR-PER is currently over-optimistic. QF rightly filled that hole, and in all likelihood, they will also be the ones offering a nonstop SYD-LHR whenever this will become technically possible (and that won't be very long).
Old Jan 8, 19, 8:22 am

Programs: BA Gold
I don't imagine the margin on the LHR-SIN-SYD is massive especially in the rear cabins.. prices are very competitive in Y and there must be huge pressure from regular pax just searching for cheapest flight LON-SYD and not worrying too much about carrier.

Another LHR-***-SYD route could cannibalise the main route ?
Old Jan 8, 19, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by x1234 View Post
I just read that QF's most profitable route and highest load factor is the daily LHR-PER service which continues onto MEL.
No wonder I never got an upgrade!
Old Jan 8, 19, 9:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Ibis Plat,
I think that is the point-the premium cabin(s) are often full. I think demand is possibly there via PER.
Old Jan 8, 19, 9:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Flying Blue Peon, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by Beaulieu View Post
I can't see any tickets for the QR SYD-CBR hop - so my guess would be not at present.
Old Jan 8, 19, 9:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PPE, DL Crossover, BA Silver
LHR-PER in BA CW (or WT) sounds unbearable.
RoyalSwazi and Dover2Golf like this.
Old Jan 8, 19, 9:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by etiene View Post
I can't see any tickets for the QR SYD-CBR hop - so my guess would be not at present.
Likewise you can't book BNE-CNS with CX
estate and etiene like this.
Old Jan 8, 19, 10:13 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Beaulieu View Post
This has been a big bone of contention with SQ, who wanted to fly SYD-LAX and kept asking permission from the Australian Government, and were getting turned down, presumably to protect QF. QF J fares on SYD-LAX were often as much as SYD-LHR, so I imagine it was helping their profits!
The above is a few years ago now, so various things may have changed - but I've not heard of the restriction being relaxed though.
Old Jan 8, 19, 10:24 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I think some time before Qantas announced the launch of this route there was a thread here that pointed out that BA was probably well placed to operate LHR-PER non stop. Economics presumably went against that gamble. More realistic is that Melbourne could be better plumbed into the BA network, such as LHR-BKK-MEL.
Old Jan 8, 19, 10:37 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
I think some time before Qantas announced the launch of this route there was a thread here that pointed out that BA was probably well placed to operate LHR-PER non stop. Economics presumably went against that gamble. More realistic is that Melbourne could be better plumbed into the BA network, such as LHR-BKK-MEL.
Which would be quite an upgrade on the BKK route with the worst flying times and equipment on the network
Old Jan 8, 19, 10:45 am

Programs: Bit of this, bit of that
Originally Posted by estate View Post
This has been a big bone of contention with SQ, who wanted to fly SYD-LAX and kept asking permission from the Australian Government, and were getting turned down, presumably to protect QF. QF J fares on SYD-LAX were often as much as SYD-LHR, so I imagine it was helping their profits!
The above is a few years ago now, so various things may have changed - but I've not heard of the restriction being relaxed though.
Currently the lowest base fare for business on QF for SYD-LAX RT ($4906 USD) is significantly higher than the lowest SYD-LHR RT ($3973 USD)
The fares on SYD-LAX have routinely been higher than SYD-LHR.
In F the difference is even greater ($11732 USD) for A class on SYD-LAX compared to ($8908 USD) for A class on SYD-LHR, that is possibly also because QF operates the only F class nonstop on the route.

Last edited by flylonghaul; Jan 8, 19 at 11:30 am
Old Jan 8, 19, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Before worrying about the regulatory issues, where exactly does the demand come from? If all LHR-PER-SYD does is cannibalize LHR-SIN-SYD, what sense does that make to BA. Even if BA were authorized to sell PER-SYD to fill the vacant seats from the PER O&D traffic, how much of a market is there for a one-off inconveniently-timed PER-SYD flight on BA?
Old Jan 8, 19, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
One of these threads?
LHR-PER: should BA have done it
BA in Australia
Potential Ultra Long Routes 2015
Crew&Management Gossip [New route LHR-TPE-PER]

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Jan 8, 19 at 11:31 am Reason: add emphasis

Search this Thread