FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TSA's bomb-sniffing dogs
View Single Post
Old Jan 8, 2019, 7:53 am
Boggie Dog
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tsadude1
I could be wrong here but if there wasn't any suspicion, why would they want to interact with you? Do you think they are bored and want to do a few hours of paperwork? I just don't understand why someone with any common sense would want to bring their stash into a situation knowing that they will be screened, searched or whatever you want to call it. If a TSA K9 alerts on your drugs you should really be thankful because there is probably something bad mixed in it and they may have just saved you from a trip to the morgue.
What do you suspect could be mixed in a stash that would alert a TSA K9 and have the ability to send a person to the morgue? Keeping in mind that a "stash" can usually be measured in grams.

I think the issue is if by some chance a TSA screener notices a persons stash then they are obligated to notify police. At that point the LEO doesn't need to establish "Probable Cause" or Reasonable Suspicion" to charge the person. So the TSA search somehow eliminated protections of the 4th amendment and effectively moved from an Administrative Search to a Law Enforcement search. To me that is problematic.