FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Business class from Chambery to London City - what a fraud
Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:48 am
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by fairhsa
Single as in one-way or single as it I only purchased one of them? I was a one-way ticket (we flew out on Flybe from Exeter) and I purchased two of them.

My previous experience with the BA website was that all flights are now "one way" - since they add the two legs together to make the final fare. If that's not correct it would be interesting to know, as it did affect my decision to chose to fly back on BA (rather than back to Exeter on Flybe).
No, it's not correct. Single - one-way is a clearer way of putting it - CE tickets are priced at a high level for a market you appear not to be in, namely business travellers, where BA will be aware of what particular companies will pay for travel and set fares accordingly. There is something called the Saturday Night Rule which is designed not to cannibalise this business market, and provides lower fares on almost all CE tickets so long as a Saturday night is included and it is a return/there-and-back ticket. The biggest exception is domestic Club Europe where this rule doesn't apply. It can also apply to many EuroTraveller fares too, though generally less starkly.

Unfortunately this is where BA.com's layout can be hugely confusing to those not familiar with it - the fares you see on each leg of return tickets are not actually per leg, you have compute all the way through to the total fare screen to work out the true costs. It's just a simplistic portrayal which is detached from whatever the underlying fare basis would be. So it is nowhere near correct to say that all flights are now one way, even Basic fares sometimes are cheaper bought as return tickets.