FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TSA's bomb-sniffing dogs
View Single Post
Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:24 pm
FliesWay2Much
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
I wonder what will happen when a dog alerts on a pax and the only 'contraband' on that pax is an illegal drug - coke, say.

If LE is called and the pax is found with illegal drugs - but no other contraband that TSA would be looking for - will a possession case hold up in court?
I think we have all seen over the years that nobody in any branch of government objects to the TSA searching for and finding drugs. Unfortunately, most everyone caught simply pleads guilty. There needs to be a carefully orchestrated scenario in which a passenger who is willing to put their reputation on the line (or at least their freedom) is "caught" with drugs by the TSA. Of course, the TSA will say that they simply notify LE when they find drugs. So, the inevitable 4th Amendment lawsuit will be against the hapless airport police rather than the TSA. I think that using airport security checkpoints as a dragnet for all sorts of things will continue and perhaps increase in scope because I see no members of congress of either party willing to do anything about it. Worse yet, I haven't seen any evidence that the newest and youngest members of congress even understand the Constitution.