FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travel Expenses: Dumb Things your Company has Done
Old Jan 4, 2019, 11:50 am
emma69
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Proudelitist
Personal mileage is not paid to rental cars. So, let's say you rent a car out of pocket for 100 dollars, but drive 200 dollars worth of mileage and claim it. You tell the company you drove your personal car, and get 200 dollars, netting a 100 dollar profit. By deception. Fraud.
There is absolutely nothing in my company's policies about having to own the car I drive. I simply put X-Y, the number of miles (or in my case, km) and the non-taxable amount per kilometere is reimbursed. If I told the company I was driving my personal car, and was not, that would be fraudulent, but since it is simply the distance I have made no such fraudulent claim. Since the actual language doesn't even say 'car' I see no reason I cannot claim mileage if I did the trip by bicycle either - the distance was covered, for a business purpose.

It would be very complicated to tell someone they couldn't claim mileage for a rental car - as mentioned before, what if your car is in the shop?