FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travel Package General Discussion Thread
View Single Post
Old Dec 31, 2018, 9:34 am
Happy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Before the merger, people used to say you get almost 3 yrs out of a certificate. You could extend if for a year, and then apply it to a reservation that could be 11-12 months out, so almost 3 yrs after cert's original issue date. Not sure if those rules have changed
The key thing is, in the past, you readily get a one year extension for a life of 2 years, even pointed out by the reps. The 2nd extension is always a hit or miss, not a sure thing like the 1st extension. Besides during the old days a cert can be detached from the dummy future booking and gain new life. That part is iffy under the new program - depends on how zealous the CSR is to adhere to the official rules.

The new program SPECIFICALLY disallows the extension AND, has the languages there about NO REFUND of the cert when the reservation is canceled.

Until there are people who actually test the water under the new program so to provide new DPs, I would not count on the old practice, given how customer unfriendly the new program has become.

Personally I would count myself lucky if the rep would automatically issue a new cert when the OC is converted to the NC, without backdating the cert to originally issued date after being so unlucky subject to that - and there is another poster reported the same several weeks ago - so there are 2 such incidents reported albeit out of doz and doz of conversion without suffering that. We know this could happen.