FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Four Weeks of Adventure: Backpacking through Kashmir
Old Dec 29, 2018, 11:51 pm
ft543

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold
Four Weeks of Adventure: Backpacking through Kashmir

As a new graduate with 5 months before I started work, some savings, and a pent-up desire for adventure, I planned a solo trip to India and Kashmir after my graduation. I ended up choosing Kashmir for a few reasons. A few years back, I had read a trip report by another FT member about the Kashmir region and was hooked on the region. Coincidentally, BA had published a nice fare to India and I jumped on it. Finally, I had wanted to visit the Karakoram Highway, a beautiful part of the Kashmir region which is controlled by Pakistan. Understandably, my family was not excited about the idea of me visiting Pakistan, so I settled on the Indian controlled portion of Kashmir.

Overview
I took the long way to India, and spent a few days in Delhi before making my way to the Indian state of Jammu & Kashmir, where I spent most of my time. There are three parts of J&K state. The lowland region of Jammu, which is majority Hindu, the Kashmir valley which is majority Muslim, and Ladakh, which is majority Buddhist. Aside from religion, each area has a distinct geography. Jammu is in the lowlands, so it is still hot, dusty, and smoggy. The valley is a few thousand feet higher, and is lush, green, and unpolluted in comparison. Finally Ladakh is a high desert in the Himalayas. It's main city, Leh, is at an elevation of 11,500ft/3,500m.

Planning this trip was a bit more difficult than I expected since there aren't too many foreigners visiting J&K compared to neighboring states, but don't let that discourage you from visiting!

Highlights
Since this is going to be a longer trip report, here's a quick run-through of the trip. While the first few days aren't as exciting, I hope everyone will stick along with me!
  • A few days acclimating and exploring Delhi
  • The ordeal of getting to Kashmir
  • Trekking in the Kashmir Valley, eating with Gujjar shepherds
  • Beautiful and terrifying roads to Leh/Ladakh
  • Mountain biking down Khardung La (pass), 17,852ft/5,359m!

Walking through the streets of Old Delhi

Dal Lake's Floating Market in the Kashmir Valley

Exploring the Buddhist high deserts of Ladakh

A quick trek through the Himalayas

High altitude selfie! Crossing Stok La (Stok Pass) with some new friends! 16,000ft/4,900m

Last edited by ft543; Dec 29, 2018 at 11:53 pm Reason: Fixed gcmap