FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Did I do this right? First time using a GPU
Old Dec 22, 2018, 8:57 pm
itslmf

Programs: UA 1K
Did I do this right? First time using a GPU

Hello! First time 1K'er here who is slowly attempting to learn the very confusing ropes of fare buckets and upgrading and all that jazz.

I am heading from LAX to GVA via EWR on a business trip about a month from now and wanted to use one of my shiny new GPUs. I knew that the K economy fare at < $550 was not an option since those can't be upgraded with GPUs so I called and asked about my options. Ended up spending $3900 on an M ticket and submitted my upgrades for each way.

The LAX to EWR cleared immediately which is exciting since it's the new 781 w/ Polaris config! But the representative I spoke with said that I'm first on the waitlist for the other legs. The way I understand it, United can decide to open up some of these seats at any point in which I may clear into them. Otherwise I have to wait until the flight gets within 96 hours or so and see if I get lucky?

Did I do this right or did I spend a bunch of unnecessary money for no real reason and am gonna end up with an expensive overnight to GVA in coach?