Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Did I do this right? First time using a GPU

Old Dec 22, 18, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

Hello! First time 1K'er here who is slowly attempting to learn the very confusing ropes of fare buckets and upgrading and all that jazz.

I am heading from LAX to GVA via EWR on a business trip about a month from now and wanted to use one of my shiny new GPUs. I knew that the K economy fare at < $550 was not an option since those can't be upgraded with GPUs so I called and asked about my options. Ended up spending $3900 on an M ticket and submitted my upgrades for each way.

The LAX to EWR cleared immediately which is exciting since it's the new 781 w/ Polaris config! But the representative I spoke with said that I'm first on the waitlist for the other legs. The way I understand it, United can decide to open up some of these seats at any point in which I may clear into them. Otherwise I have to wait until the flight gets within 96 hours or so and see if I get lucky?

Did I do this right or did I spend a bunch of unnecessary money for no real reason and am gonna end up with an expensive overnight to GVA in coach?
Old Dec 22, 18, 10:10 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM, Hilton Gold
No 96 hours. It can clear any time between now and departure. Or not.
Old Dec 22, 18, 10:21 pm

And yes, you may well end up in the back on the TATL segment despite the expensive ticket. There's another alternative to protect your investment. If there are any unsold J seats a few hours before flight time, before they clear GPUs they are likely to offer a cash buyup to anyone for $829 (although the price fluctuates wildly). If you can see on the app that your GPU is not a sure thing to clear, you can keep hitting "more options" on your app reservations page, waiting for the $829 offer. If it appears (and it can be as late as when boarding begins) you can choose to pay, and the GPU will probably make its way back into your account unused, despite the domestic segment flown in J. Although the $829 might seem a lot on top of your existing $3900 purchase, you could instead view it as protecting your investment. And if they offer it to you, the upgrade is then a sure thing rather than hoping it works at the last moment at the gate.
Old Dec 22, 18, 10:33 pm

The importance of “96 hours” only applies to CPU-eligible flights. Has nothing to do with either of yours.

I hope the $3900 was your money and not an employer’s. If I was an employer, I might have a huge problem with your decision.
Old Dec 22, 18, 10:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by itslmf View Post
.... Ended up spending $3900 on an M ticket and submitted my upgrades for each way......
Why did you chose to purchase a M fare? A W fare is the minimum required fare class for GPU. Sometimes folks will purchase V to improve their waitlist priority.

What was the lowest paid business fare?
Old Dec 23, 18, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
An M fare with a waitlisted GPU is certainly not the best practice when fares all the way down to K are available... you could buy up into J for a K fare plus the cash buyup, generally under a grand each way.
Old Dec 23, 18, 12:40 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
So can OP go back to previous fare class if within 24 hours of the buyup? I do not know the answer but if that is possible I would look to buy up to W, or keep the K or hope there is the TOD.
Old Dec 23, 18, 1:12 am
Suspended

Programs: Skywards Gold
Spend $3900 on an Economy ticket for the chance to maybe redeem a loyalty instrument for an upgrade... Guess loyalty programs really do work for the airlines...
Old Dec 23, 18, 1:35 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle View Post
So can OP go back to previous fare class if within 24 hours of the buyup? ....
No, 24-hour change free window only applies to original purchase, changes do not reset the clock.
Old Dec 23, 18, 2:10 am

Programs: MileagePlus
What are the dates
Old Dec 23, 18, 7:06 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
No, 24-hour change free window only applies to original purchase, changes do not reset the clock.
I hope the OP bought the ticket yesterday. Then the ticket can still be cancelled and rebought at a more appropriate fare before the 24-hour grace period expires.

I also need to go to GVA next year. For Polaris Business, the flight through EWR was in the $8,000 range. Through IAD it was in the $4,800 range. Same price if connecting in FRA instead of connecting in the US.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Dec 23, 18 at 8:46 am Reason: Clarifying that the prices quoted were for Polaris Business
Old Dec 23, 18, 7:27 am

I have a horrible feeling that the OP was sold an M to get the 1K instant upgrade for the domestic leg, which was unnecessary given the GPU.
perkele, Xyzzy and Icydubloon like this.

Last edited by Miles Ahead; Dec 23, 18 at 10:54 am
Old Dec 23, 18, 8:08 am

Programs: ex-Con *Gold (earned) moving to DL
Originally Posted by itslmf View Post
I am heading from LAX to GVA via EWR on a business trip about a month from now and wanted to use one of my shiny new GPUs. I knew that the K economy fare at < $550 was not an option since those can't be upgraded with GPUs so I called and asked about my options. Ended up spending $3900 on an M ticket and submitted my upgrades for each way.

The LAX to EWR cleared immediately which is exciting since it's the new 781 w/ Polaris config! But the representative I spoke with said that I'm first on the waitlist for the other legs. The way I understand it, United can decide to open up some of these seats at any point in which I may clear into them. Otherwise I have to wait until the flight gets within 96 hours or so and see if I get lucky?

Did I do this right or did I spend a bunch of unnecessary money for no real reason and am gonna end up with an expensive overnight to GVA in coach?
It is, of course, your money. I would have bought the <$550 K fare and spent 40K miles (available for a purchase price of $1,400 if you don’t have them) and the $550 (each way) co-pay.

$550 fare plus $1,400 RDM purchase + $1,100 co-pay = $3,050
(Plus, I understand that if Polaris leg doesn’t clear, you get miles + co-pay back)
or
$3,900 fare + 2 GPUs
(If Polaris doesn’t clear, you get GPU back, but are still stuck with expensive M fare)

You will of course receive more RDM, PQM and PQD on the M fare, so if that’s a factor in your consideration, it might be worthwhile.
Old Dec 23, 18, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead View Post
I ahve a horrible feeling that the OP was sold an M to get the 1K instant upgrade for the domestic leg, which was unnecessary given the GPU.
And also ineligible on LAX-EWR.
Old Dec 23, 18, 10:55 am

An agent confused about one thing could be confused about two.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: