FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tmobile now has App That Will Provision New Prepaid Service with an ESIM
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:55 pm
tai4de2

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by LordHamster
I say it is painful not due to the complexity. There are 25+ reports I've seen in those reddit threads of T-Mo reps refusing do do the "sim swap" because they've been told they don't support esim. The fact that you have to call up and use a word-smithed script off reddit to accomplish this should be an embarrassment enough.
I did this for my own phone with a chat in the T-Mobile app, a week or so ago. It was quick and easy.

Today, I did it for my wife's new iPhone. T-Mobile has caught on. The rep on the chat said "that's an eSIM. We do not support eSIM blah blah blah". I wrote back that if T-Mobile wants to keep me as a customer they will do a SIM swap with the EID I gave them. She did it, and it worked just fine.

This is the first time I've threatened to leave T-Mobile and actually meant it. If there comes a time when I am about to head out on an int'l trip and the eSIM isn't working, I will consider switching away from T-Mobile. Due to the ruination of the int'l data pass, which must be purchased by the day over a connection that is so painfully slow that using it without the data pass is literally impossible, a find the dual SIM thing an absolute must from now on.

I don't know enough about eSIM to know whether the hack can be undone on T-Mobile's end say if they do some kind of audit and discover illicitly provisioned eSIMs or eSIMs that don't match a prepaid account. Or whether the address I typed in ends up being used just once to do a one-time download of provisioning data. Etc.