Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Tmobile now has App That Will Provision New Prepaid Service with an ESIM

Old Dec 17, 18, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Tmobile now has an Apple app that allows you to order prepaid service and provision the ESIM: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/t-mo...437014693?mt=8

I can see from the pages shown at the link above that one of the options is the $30 "Tourist Plan."

I think this is a first - inbound travelers to the US can provision an ESIM and service before leaving their home country, and have service immediately upon arrival in the US.

I assume other carriers (in the US and elsewhere) may implement similar over time.
Old Dec 18, 18, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I downloaded it to play with, and after a mis-start it seems to work fine. I didn't go through to actually sign up for service (closed the app when it asked for credit card).

$30 for 21 days, 1000 mins, unlimited text, and 2GB
$40 for 30 days, unlimited talk/text and 10GB data
$70 for 30 days, unlimited talk/text/data

It also notes that if you use more than 50GB/month you will be throttled to 3G speeds.
Old Dec 18, 18, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gfunkdave View Post
I downloaded it to play with, and after a mis-start it seems to work fine. I didn't go through to actually sign up for service (closed the app when it asked for credit card).

$30 for 21 days, 1000 mins, unlimited text, and 2GB
$40 for 30 days, unlimited talk/text and 10GB data
$70 for 30 days, unlimited talk/text/data

It also notes that if you use more than 50GB/month you will be throttled to 3G speeds.
Sounds like you can get any of the available single line Tmobile prepaid plans. I wonder if it allows non-US based credit cards so that inbound tourists can order.
Old Dec 18, 18, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BigFlyer View Post
Sounds like you can get any of the available single line Tmobile prepaid plans. I wonder if it allows non-US based credit cards so that inbound tourists can order.
Seems like it wouldn't be much good without it.

I would love to see foreign carriers implement similar apps. I'm going to France next summer and would love a cheaper data alternative to Verizon's $10/day option.
Old Dec 18, 18, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gfunkdave View Post
Seems like it wouldn't be much good without it.

I would love to see foreign carriers implement similar apps. I'm going to France next summer and would love a cheaper data alternative to Verizon's $10/day option.
This company has data (not voice) via ESIM for France - the $14.99 for 3 GB might suit you ($5 per GB is not a bad price): https://cellulardata.ubigi.com/rates-coverage/.

Although there is always Google Fi at $10 GB + monthly service charge for however many days you are active.

I suspect there will be more options by next summer.
Old Dec 19, 18, 9:54 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
FYI, you can look on reddit r/tmobile to find instructions for how to get t-mobile to move your existing postpaid line to the Esim. I did this, but it is painful.

SHAME on T-Mobile for only making the E-sim an option for NEW PREPAID lines.
Old Dec 19, 18, 10:14 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT GOLD, RC PLAT PREM
Does this only work with phones that have the ESIM capability? Or can it be on any phone?
Old Dec 19, 18, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LordHamster View Post
FYI, you can look on reddit r/tmobile to find instructions for how to get t-mobile to move your existing postpaid line to the Esim. I did this, but it is painful.

SHAME on T-Mobile for only making the E-sim an option for NEW PREPAID lines.
My suspicion is that within the next few weeks this will become easier - but, everyone on Reddit wants to be bleeding edge and can't wait.
Old Dec 19, 18, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anaggie View Post
Does this only work with phones that have the ESIM capability? Or can it be on any phone?
By definition it will only work on phones that have an eSIM.
Old Dec 19, 18, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP, Marriott Titanium
I did not find the hack instructions on reddit to move a postpaid T-Mo line to eSIM to be painful at all.

Quick chat with customer service, an email, and typing a couple of strings into a form... done.

I am using two T-Mo lines in my phone now, and will try T-Mo plus Thai SIM (for data) next week.
Old Dec 20, 18, 7:28 am

My suspicion is that within the next few weeks this will become easier - but, everyone on Reddit wants to be bleeding edge and can't wait.
While there may be impatient people... this unnecessary kerfuffle has been caused by phenomenally poor communications from T-Mobile on this topic. Including a tweet from John Legere suggesting people just use the "Digits" feature instead.

Originally Posted by tai4de2 View Post
I did not find the hack instructions on reddit to move a postpaid T-Mo line to eSIM to be painful at all.

Quick chat with customer service, an email, and typing a couple of strings into a form... done.

I am using two T-Mo lines in my phone now, and will try T-Mo plus Thai SIM (for data) next week.
I say it is painful not due to the complexity. There are 25+ reports I've seen in those reddit threads of T-Mo reps refusing do do the "sim swap" because they've been told they don't support esim. The fact that you have to call up and use a word-smithed script off reddit to accomplish this should be an embarrassment enough. I had issues getting this done myself, but as a loyal United flyer, I'm used to HUCA.
Old Dec 20, 18, 10:57 am
Original Poster

While there may be impatient people... this unnecessary kerfuffle has been caused by phenomenally poor communications from T-Mobile on this topic. Including a tweet from John Legere suggesting people just use the "Digits" feature instead.
I'm not Tmobile fan boy - but I don't see how Tmobile can be guilty of a failure to communicate info about a service (ESIM other than through the app for prepaid lines) that it has not yet chosen to offer.
Old Dec 20, 18, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by tai4de2 View Post

I'm not Tmobile fan boy - but I don't see how Tmobile can be guilty of a failure to communicate info about a service (ESIM other than through the app for prepaid lines) that it has not yet chosen to offer.
That is just it. T-Mobile loudly proclaimed from the rooftops for MONTHS that they would be supporting E-sim as soon as iOS 12.1 came out. They then fell silent for a while after the 12.1 release, and said it was delayed to end of year. Now near the end of the year, they have released this pathetic app which only works for NEW pre-paid lines.... and when asked publicly about e-sim for all existing subscribers the CEO says "use the digits feature"... with no further indications of when, or IF the E-sim feature would come out.

A little clarification on this would go a long way. Meanwhile both AT&T and Verizon have been much better at planning for this feature, releasing , and communicating it.
Old Dec 20, 18, 11:55 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP, Marriott Titanium
I say it is painful not due to the complexity. There are 25+ reports I've seen in those reddit threads of T-Mo reps refusing do do the "sim swap" because they've been told they don't support esim. The fact that you have to call up and use a word-smithed script off reddit to accomplish this should be an embarrassment enough.
I did this for my own phone with a chat in the T-Mobile app, a week or so ago. It was quick and easy.

Today, I did it for my wife's new iPhone. T-Mobile has caught on. The rep on the chat said "that's an eSIM. We do not support eSIM blah blah blah". I wrote back that if T-Mobile wants to keep me as a customer they will do a SIM swap with the EID I gave them. She did it, and it worked just fine.

This is the first time I've threatened to leave T-Mobile and actually meant it. If there comes a time when I am about to head out on an int'l trip and the eSIM isn't working, I will consider switching away from T-Mobile. Due to the ruination of the int'l data pass, which must be purchased by the day over a connection that is so painfully slow that using it without the data pass is literally impossible, a find the dual SIM thing an absolute must from now on.

I don't know enough about eSIM to know whether the hack can be undone on T-Mobile's end say if they do some kind of audit and discover illicitly provisioned eSIMs or eSIMs that don't match a prepaid account. Or whether the address I typed in ends up being used just once to do a one-time download of provisioning data. Etc.
LordHamster likes this.
Old Dec 22, 18, 1:48 am

I guess you folks are talking about this?

https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/com...w_to_activate/

Search this Thread