FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TATL Basic Economy (renamed Dec 2018); all BE to earn 50% PQMs, earn 100% PQDs
Old Dec 17, 2018, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalker70

Originally Posted by jsloan
LH group already offers a "Business Basic" -- they just don't call it that. Some P fares are non-changeable, non-refundable, use-it-or-lose it. And some LX J seats require a payment to reserve unless you're HON.

I fail to see how these measures help anyone but the airline.
I think the issue with PY and J fares is the discount airlines haven't tackled that market yet save for La Compaigne and to a lesser extent Norwegian. However, it's only a matter of time before the discount airlines enter this market, especially when their margins get eaten into with rising fuel prices! Here's to hoping for $600 PY and $1000 J fares between Europe and the Americas!

Originally Posted by jsloan
What good does that do you when UA raises its fares by $15 to compensate?

Unbundling is bad for 99% of consumers. You may not care about checking a bag, but you might care about getting a seat assignment, access to overhead space, early boarding, water on the plane, or whatever other nickel and dime charges "complete unbundling" ends up entailing.
First they came for my checked bag, and I did not speak out, for I am not a kettle. Then they came for the advanced seat selection and I did not speak out, since I enjoy flying middle seat. Then they came for changeable fares and I did not speak out, because I'm not a fickle traveller. Then they came for my milage accrual - and there was no one left to speak for me!

Safe Travels,

James