FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - missing first out of 3 connectioinflights
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:59 pm
Zorak
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by adventurays
Hey, there I'm flying with Copa Airlines from Honolulu to Bogota on the 11th January. My flight connection is from HNL - LA 1h 30 min layover, LA - PTY 1h 20 min layover, PTY - Bogota. All flights are with Copa Airlines. I recently decided to leave the Islands sooner and go back to the mainland. So I'll first be in Las Vegas and take then the bus to LA so that I'll be there to catch my flight from LA to Panama(PTY) on the 1/11. My question is now if I have to inform Copa Airlines about my change of plans, if it costs me a lot of money, or if there's a way to cancel my first flight from HNL - LA without having to pay extra?
I would also love to know if I have to take care of my extra luggage myself or if the flight company does that since 1h 20 min seem to be little time to check in with baggage again. I never flew with Copa Airlines before and I appreciate every help.
Welcome to FT! As PHXflier notes, you posted this in the Delta forum -- most airlines have their own separate forum, and here is the one for Copa: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/copa-connectmiles-751/

will ping a mod to move the thread there. (EDIT: never mind, ryandc99 is quick on the draw )

Even if the first segment is operated by United, until day of travel you still essentially have a Copa ticket. I'm not familiar with them either, but would guess that they're like any other airline in that flights with significantly different origins or destinations are treated as different markets and so would price differently and you would have to pay a change fee and difference in fare.

Note also that picking up in the middle is generally not possible; typically if you skip a flight then any remaining flights on the rest of your ticket are subject to cancellation.