FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Cancun [Merged threads]
Old Dec 15, 2018, 8:39 pm
txhyattlvr

Originally Posted by arizonawildcat
Rental cars just too much of a pain down there? Heading to Cancun because it checks the box for a bunch of things we are looking for. Not the least of which is a non-stop roundtrip flight on Southwest airlines on points and companion passes for all four of us. Been to Puerto Rico and Los Cabos/San Jose several times and wanting a new experience.
We go to Cancun 4-6 times per year (quick flight from Texas w/great fares frequently available). Prefer the Hyatt's but the Westin and Ritz look nice, too. I completely disagree about it being "Vegas on the Ocean.." For one thing, Cancun is planned. Gardens and landscaping are everywhere. Think more like Disney World. Depending on where you stay, Cancun offers gorgeous hotels, amazing beaches (WITHOUT many vendors or people begging), cleanliness I don't find in other parts of Mexico outside Yucatan, tons to do, not too crowded, and yes, VERY safe (especially at high end hotels). If anything, I'd compare to a better planned, MUCH less dense/crowded version of Waikiki. What I'm saying applies to the main part of Cancun, known as the Hotel Zone. If you are staying down the coast, towards Playa Del Carmen, then you are in for a completely different experience.

Anyway, as for rental cars... don't do it. You don't need one. The taxis are ample, cheap, and safe. Don't try to use Uber or Lyft. Also, within Cancun proper there's a very cheap and simple public bus system that will take you anywhere. The busses are clean but the drivers are a bit "loco" to say the least. Fun experience. For your transfers from the airport, consider USA Transfers or Canada Transfers. We use the former, but both have an excellent reputation and USA is VERY easy to deal with, 1000% reliable, clean, safe, etc.