FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Seat Poaching Attempt Experiences [Consolidated]
Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:06 pm
Decca

Programs: Executive Club Gold
Seen it 3 times in the past year!

Maybe its just coincidence but I've personally witnessed 3 attempts this year at self-upgrading and not even to somewhere worthwhile like J or F. Each time the culprit was some millennial grifter whose self confidence was in inverse relation to their competence. I know the breed well from my academic career - they try the same mixture of bravado and what passes in their tiny minds for 'charm' when asking for essay extensions. I'm rarely fooled. First was in the WT+ cabin on a LHR HKG flight. Boarding complete and some millennial lounge lizard emerges from Y, slopes up to the unoccupied aisle seat across from me, settles in, enjoys the PDB of cheap Cava and looks generally very pleased with himself. I had my suspicions something was afoot but I held my tongue. Up we go - millennial lounge lizard (MLL) reclines, inflates neck pillow and proceeds to get comfy. Up comes a FA who discreetly, although within my earshot, tells him, "no sir, this is a different class of service, please return to your seat". Back slinks MLL looking not so much chastened as thwarted. Second time was on an all economy configured A320 of Aegean Airlines from Athens to Edinburgh. I paid the supplement to sit in the mid cabin exit row for a bit of extra legroom. Again, after boarding was complete, a very-pleased-with-himself MLL sat in the unoccupied seat next to me with a cheery, 'hello, how are you today?'. I responded, "oh, did you also pay the supplement to sit in this row?" He replied, "no, I just figured boarding was complete, this seat was free and I'd sit here - you don't mind do you". To which I replied, "not at all - let me just flag down a FA to ask about my refund for the seat which I paid extra to sit in but which you feel can be yours for free". MLL exited stage left in double quick time. Third time was on a cheap 'n' cheerful AirAsia hop from DMK to HAN. When I fly AirAsia I alway cough up the minimal surcharge to sit in one of their exit row/extra leg room 'hot seats', distinguished by the red headrests. Again, after boarding was completed one of a party of what can only be described as "loud, obnoxious millennial American frat boys on tour" (which I'll abbreviate as MFB) proceeded to plonk himself down in a free seat next to me, testosterone and beer sweat oozing from every pore, manspreading triumphantly in his newfound domain. I arched my eyebrow at a passing FA who was clearly already on the case (AirAsia polices this kind of seat larceny pretty effectively). MFB puffed up his chest and mansplained loudly to the petite Thai FA that he wasn't moving as his original seat didn't recline adequately. The FA to her great credit didn't back down, inspected his seat finding no fault and essentially smiled sweetly whilst staring him down from the aisle, making it very clear that until he moved and she sat down, the plane wasn't going to Hanoi. He moved amidst a cloud of wounded American male pride. A sweet moment indeed. I've yet to witness this behaviour in J but I'm flying to CPT in CW on Saturday, so I'll keep my eyes peeled!

Last edited by Decca; Dec 11, 2018 at 4:09 pm Reason: typo