FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy? (Potential new program leak)
Old Dec 8, 2018, 6:08 pm
hockeyinsider
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
Anyone who has stayed at the Shanghai City Centre Marriott and the New York Marriott Marquis will attest they obvious difference between the two. In the bedroom, Decor, furnishing, finish, all far superior in the Shanghai version, in the bathroom, Marble with separate soaker bath and shower cubicle, as opposed to the cracked tiling and crappy mini American tub with shower over. Exec lounge - gosh that’s embarrassing, the difference between these two lounges is beyond belief for supposedly the same brand, but let’s try, Shanghai, proper food, at least 2 hot meats, plus 2 hot carbs, plus full and varied salads and desserts and free alcohol, beers, wines, hard liquor served 5 hours every night, 7 days a week. NYC, sad food offering, no free alcohol, desserts consisting of cookies, small lounge closed at weekends. Let’s look at restaurant breakfast, Shanghai, almost every type of breakfast from all over the world, Asian, Middle Eastern, African, European, British, American, heck it even serves Ice cream which I’m taking as Antarctican! Numerous chefs cooking to order. NYC Marquis breakfast offering, well it’s not bad, but nowhere near the breadth and quality offered at the Shanghai Marriott, cereals, some fruit and cold meats, bacon, powdered eggs and breakfast potatoes in a heater. The 2 hotels are as chalk and cheese, the only reason I knew they were the same brand was the sign over the door and my folio! I just take these two, but this difference is repeated across Asia compared to America.

And thats all I was saying. Marriott allows significant brand divergence within the brands themselves, yet with 30 brands needs the opposite to preserve differentials between different brands. Agree or disagree with the statement but really, honestly, the 5*/4* confected row... Why?
I agree 100%. This is very, very frustrating. It's not like the New York Marriott Marquis is a random airport Marriott in the middle of no-where. This is literally Marriott's flagship Marriott property in New York City. The Renaissance Times Square is another example. It's a good two stars below say the Renaissance Paris Republique, Renaissance Dubai or even the Renaissance Paris Arc de Triomphe, which is in a similar touristy area as Times Square.

This is the problem when the majority of your hotels are franchised and operated by third-party management companies. Quality control and brand consistency suffers. McDonald's manages to maintain consistency, but they are strict on standards. When I'm not at an airport flying I'm behind a wheel driving. I've been to every McDonald's almost every McDonald's on the I-75 corridor from Monroe to Sault Ste. Marie. I routinely see corporate managers and inspectors checking on franchisees.