FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy? (Potential new program leak)
Old Dec 8, 2018, 5:41 pm
BrightlyBob
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
As the fire-starter of this 5*/4* argument I’m struggling to see how my point can possibly be misunderstood and so diverted, other than there’s a need to “pile in” and then protect a position no matter how fragile. Of course what happened was I accidentally touched an FT nerve, namely that “what is 5*” question. Sorry about that.

I pointed out that with 30 brands Marriott now needed to ensure brand adherence more than ever before, but had allowed significant variation within its brands. That a Marriott or Renaissance in Asia is frequently classified as 5* when most properties branded as Marriott or Renaissance stateside are 3.5*-4* at best. No fiction, no hyperbole, see Marriotts website, see the official info. I was then pulled apart by arguments defining of 3* or 5* so I tried to offer an obvious comparison, JW and Intercontinental, both 5* American brands, both met or outclassed by Marriotts Asian offerings. Then we ended up with peoples personal definition of what 5* is or isn’t. The point I was making was ignored by those seemingly wilfully determined to argue just to prevail.

Anyone who has stayed at the Shanghai City Centre Marriott and the New York Marriott Marquis will attest they obvious difference between the two. In the bedroom, Decor, furnishing, finish, all far superior in the Shanghai version, in the bathroom, Marble with separate soaker bath and shower cubicle, as opposed to the cracked tiling and crappy mini American tub with shower over. Exec lounge - gosh that’s embarrassing, the difference between these two lounges is beyond belief for supposedly the same brand, but let’s try, Shanghai, proper food, at least 2 hot meats, plus 2 hot carbs, plus full and varied salads and desserts and free alcohol, beers, wines, hard liquor served 5 hours every night, 7 days a week. NYC, sad food offering, no free alcohol, desserts consisting of cookies, small lounge closed at weekends. Let’s look at restaurant breakfast, Shanghai, almost every type of breakfast from all over the world, Asian, Middle Eastern, African, European, British, American, heck it even serves Ice cream which I’m taking as Antarctican! Numerous chefs cooking to order. NYC Marquis breakfast offering, well it’s not bad, but nowhere near the breadth and quality offered at the Shanghai Marriott, cereals, some fruit and cold meats, bacon, powdered eggs and breakfast potatoes in a heater. The 2 hotels are as chalk and cheese, the only reason I knew they were the same brand was the sign over the door and my folio! I just take these two, but this difference is repeated across Asia compared to America.

And thats all I was saying. Marriott allows significant brand divergence within the brands themselves, yet with 30 brands needs the opposite to preserve differentials between different brands. Agree or disagree with the statement but really, honestly, the 5*/4* confected row... Why?

Last edited by BrightlyBob; Dec 8, 2018 at 5:47 pm