FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tasmania Island - Itinerary Suggestions
View Single Post
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:55 am
kapooncha
Suspended

Originally Posted by number_6
There are 3 distinct travel experiences in Tasmania and you may want to do one or all 3: wilderness, countryside farm life, and big little city. The wilderness part is some of the most pristine and challenging, probably you aren't doing this unless well prepared (I still remember the story about an Australian soldier who was a survival instructor who got lost 2 km from home and took 2 weeks to get out of the wilderness). The coutryside farmed part is beautiful (and would pass for wilderness in some other parts of the world ), and offers some very fine food due to the pristine unpolluted setting. Finally Hobart has some fantastic big-city attractions in a little city (takes 10 min to drive out of town). Has one of the finest museums in the world, for example, and great restaurants (quite a change from even a decade ago).
This diversity makes planning a short trip to Tasmania difficult ... you just have to come back.
So wilderness and countryside farm life sound good. Not so big in the city life, I'll get enough of that in MEL and SYD later on.

Another poster asked about camping and hiking. I love to hike, I love challenging hikes. But I'm not a huge camper. I really prefer to spend a full day hiking and then go sleep in a hotel (doesn't have to be fancy) or a B&B of some type. Not sure if that's going to be possible or not in Tasmania.