Tasmania Island - Itinerary Suggestions

Old Dec 6, 18, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Tasmania Island - Itinerary Suggestions

I'm planning a trip to Australia in November 2019. My schedule is very flexible and can spend up to a month in Australia. I would like to see Tasmania Island but want to find out how much time you think I should spend there and how best to organize it.

I have looked on the net and it seems like some spend 10-14 days which seems a bit much. I was hoping somewhere between 5-10 days if that's possible.
Old Dec 6, 18, 5:30 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Depends on what interests you have and what you want to do. If you want to hike, camp etc then you’ll obviously need longer.

Let us know your interests and we can advise accordingly.
Old Dec 6, 18, 5:47 pm

Programs: Member of many programs, status in none
I just spent a week on Tasmania and could easily have spent at least another week there.

As was said, post what interests you and people can advise accordingly.
Old Dec 6, 18, 8:37 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
There are 3 distinct travel experiences in Tasmania and you may want to do one or all 3: wilderness, countryside farm life, and big little city. The wilderness part is some of the most pristine and challenging, probably you aren't doing this unless well prepared (I still remember the story about an Australian soldier who was a survival instructor who got lost 2 km from home and took 2 weeks to get out of the wilderness). The coutryside farmed part is beautiful (and would pass for wilderness in some other parts of the world ), and offers some very fine food due to the pristine unpolluted setting. Finally Hobart has some fantastic big-city attractions in a little city (takes 10 min to drive out of town). Has one of the finest museums in the world, for example, and great restaurants (quite a change from even a decade ago).
This diversity makes planning a short trip to Tasmania difficult ... you just have to come back.
Old Dec 7, 18, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6 View Post
There are 3 distinct travel experiences in Tasmania and you may want to do one or all 3: wilderness, countryside farm life, and big little city. The wilderness part is some of the most pristine and challenging, probably you aren't doing this unless well prepared (I still remember the story about an Australian soldier who was a survival instructor who got lost 2 km from home and took 2 weeks to get out of the wilderness). The coutryside farmed part is beautiful (and would pass for wilderness in some other parts of the world ), and offers some very fine food due to the pristine unpolluted setting. Finally Hobart has some fantastic big-city attractions in a little city (takes 10 min to drive out of town). Has one of the finest museums in the world, for example, and great restaurants (quite a change from even a decade ago).
This diversity makes planning a short trip to Tasmania difficult ... you just have to come back.
So wilderness and countryside farm life sound good. Not so big in the city life, I'll get enough of that in MEL and SYD later on.

Another poster asked about camping and hiking. I love to hike, I love challenging hikes. But I'm not a huge camper. I really prefer to spend a full day hiking and then go sleep in a hotel (doesn't have to be fancy) or a B&B of some type. Not sure if that's going to be possible or not in Tasmania.
Old Dec 11, 18, 9:18 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Definitely possible as there are so many hiking options in TAS. Check out the Parks and Wildlife Service list of 60 'short' (up to day) walks: https://www.parks.tas.gov.au/index.aspx?base=1315. I would add Mt Anne as a BIG day walk, or Cathedral Rock and Collins Cap as other great options in the vicinity of Hobart. So you can easily find day walks with B&B or 'shack' (cabin) accommodation nearby, and also many private campgrounds include cabin accommodation. A lot of owners use airbnb to advertise their second homes too. Having said that, some parts of TAS feel very remote and have limited accommodation to retain their character, so for example around Cradle Mountain you either need to book well in advance and accept the elevated cost, or accept a drive in and out for ~1 hour each day. I do recommend that you find accommodation in more rural areas or smaller townships for much of your trip. The wildlife in TAS is fabulous but mostly nocturnal. You don't really want to be driving after dusk, but if you can stay in a rural area you will see more.

I would recommend you aim for 10 days and a circuit to see the east, north and west coasts and a few days south of Hobart, as they are all varied. If you have 7 or less days, just do one way Hobart-Launceston (or visa versa) and choose east or west. Depending where else you are doing on the mainland does dictate things you should try to see while there. For example, in the central northern part of TAS, there is good food and wineries, plus a good chance to see platypus in the Tamar area and mobs of kangaroos at Narawntapu NP. But you may be seeing 'similar' things outside of Melbourne or Sydney, depending on your plans.
Old Yesterday, 7:27 pm

Check out Wineglass Bay/Freycinet for gorgeous day hikes as well. Also Maria Island is fun and you will definitely see wombats.

Also, insider tip: it's just Tasmania, not Tasmania Island.

Enjoy!