FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What cut of beef do you prefer to roast?
View Single Post
Old Dec 6, 2018, 6:23 pm
cubbie

Programs: AA
Don't buy any more eye of round, I can tell you that much. Your mother and mine bought it because it was the cheapest. Unless you pound the heck out of it for Swiss steak or grind it for burgers or meatloaf, and maybe not even then, it's going to be tough.

Rib roasts are the most flavorful, I think, and at a holiday sale price of $5.99/lb, a good buy. Sirloin, top sirloin, NY strip, flank, strip, and tri-tip are also good flavor value for the money, I think.

When I see T-bones and porterhouses in the store, I prefer the porterhouses if the price is right. They are essentially the same cut but located at different points along the cow, and the porterhouse has a larger tenderloin part than the T-bone.

I think that after rib roast, I would recommend tri-tip first, but where I live, it's not easy to find. Only Costco and one of the local grocery stores has it regularly. I hear it's more readily available west of the Mississippi.

Lately I've been worked up about the relative flavorlessness of a lot of beef, which I've researched online to some extent, and I've been steering (ha ha) toward stores that sell certified Angus beef to avoid beef produced using growth hormones that preclude flavor development. I can't, for example, remember the last time I bought a grocery store chuck steak that had any flavor. But that may be a topic for a different thread.

Sorry, looking back now, I see your specific question was what cut of beef do you prefer to ROAST. My answer then is ribeye. Most of my other answers are steak cuts for quick cooking. And based on what I said before about the flavorlessness of growth-hormone-stimulated beef, I wouldn't even call most chuck roast worth roasting these days.

Last edited by cubbie; Dec 6, 2018 at 6:32 pm