FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}
Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:19 am
passionforhotels

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Yes, but any non-native English speaker (of which there are many reading this forum and thread, a couple of my friends included) could construe your post as 100% serious and really a way to do it, albeit while exaggerating the lack of comfort (remember how we use the word hell in English). As I pointed out for those people, there is no way in hell (oops, there we go again with that word, haha) it would save you anything and in fact cost more.
Backpeddle all you want, but any advice that begins with "It certainly won't be fun" then goes on to explain the many ways it won't be fun and ends with the explicit instruction that it would be "everyone's idea of hell" can't be misinterpreted, native english speaker or not. Only you choose to have difficulties in understanding.

As for costing more, no it wouldn't. It just wouldn't be pleasant. The ferry ticket is around $10 per adult, half for children, so we're talking $30 for a family of four, plus whatever Rangali wanted to charge for the pickup. Let's say $400 each way. That comes to $860 for the return trip. A saving on the over $2,000 the OP is quoted for seaplanes. Clarification for the benefit of the hard of thinking: this is not a good way to transfer as it involves a long trip on a public ferry with limited facilities.

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Well, fair enough if the rules have changed. I have read otherwise and on more than one aspect of the journey. Though I doubt that any foreigner can buy a ticket or get on a boat to any island that does not have either a resort or a guesthouse. Foreigners are / were? not allowed onto those islands without a letter of invitation approved by the authorities. So I suppose it begs the question: Have you done this yourself?
What rules? Are you perhaps thinking of the 1980s/90s when islands were out of bounds to everyone (even Maldivians needed a 'visa' to go to Male if they didn't live there)? You know that was rescinded about two decades ago? So far I've visited Mandhoo, Maamigili, Utheemu, Dhangethi, Kudahuvadhoo, Dharavandhoo, Hanimadhoo, Kamadhoo, Kudarikulu, Naifaru, Eydhafushi and a few others whose names I don't remember right now. No need for any paperwork.

Public ferries can be taken by anyone. They can't be booked online, you just show up, buy a ticket and board. The proof is the hundreds of tourists at the ferry terminal every day doing just that. Again for the hard of thinking: this is not a recommended or preferred method of transfer, it's simply mentioned as the cheapest option although with many major drawbacks that would make this option unsuitable for anyone except the more intrepid [clear enough?].

You can book at least one of the domestic airlines directly online: Flyme and all they need is a copy of your passport. I phoned and checked and they don't need proof of accommodation to issue a ticket, although that's a moot point for anyone who's already got a reservation at Rangali anyway. I don't think this would be a massive cost saving though - maybe a couple hundred at the most.

Seaplanes can't be booked directly but not because of any laws. They just didn't want to bother with the hassle of collecting payment from individual passengers when it was easier to bill the resorts.

Finally: pointing out the obvious yet again: getting the resort to handle your transfers is the easiest and most convenient method but also the most expensive. There are cheaper ways of transferring, but frankly with so many drawbacks it's not really worth it. But hey, if you're young, adventurous, have time on your hands and a bunch of points to use, here you go.