FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Million Miler/Multi-Million Miler Roll Call Thread
Old Nov 24, 2018, 2:53 am
ReallyUpInTheAir

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, Marriott Platinum Premier Elite, HHonors Diamond
Recent 1MMer - fun experience

Hello All, I thought I'd share my experience of becoming a 1MMer after reading some less than complimentary stories of lack of recognition on here.

I went through my 1MM on a flight from EWR to LHR and just prior to that I got a canned email from Oscar saying I'm close to the 1MM milestone. I thought I would get something via email after the milestone but nothing so initially I was super disappointed. I called up the 1K hotline and they said it's varied as to what happens. A week later, I was in the UA Club at LHR and asked the staff as to what happens when people go through the various MM bands, she replied that typically they have a little ceremony either at the gate or at the UA Club. She said that they didn't have anything booked for me. At that point I was really starting to get even more disillusioned with the "customer care" aspect of UA.

The next day, I took a flight to NRT from EWR and to my surprise, they called my name at the gate, I was already travelling in Polaris so I knew it had to be related to my 1MM or I was being "reaccomodated" for some reason or another. A GS rep congratulated me and preboarded me, she also gave me a card with well wishes for the milestone. As I sat down, the captain came to see me, congratulated me and invited me to the flight deck to have a look see.(I'm training for my PPL so was very curious) I also got a signed copy of the flight plan from the captain. Shortly after, the purser came over and congratulated me too. When we landed in NRT, the purser (I presume) announced that I had passed over my million miles too.

All in all, it was a really fun experience and at my current rate of travel I'll be at 2MM in another 6 or so years.