FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Baggage allowance on multi-city itinerary
Old Nov 21, 2018, 5:04 pm
MfromL

Programs: LATAMPass Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver Medallion
Baggage allowance on multi-city itinerary

I've tried searching the forum but I can't find a thread with a similar case, so here it goes:

I just booked a flight for a MAD-MSP (via AMS), MSP-LIM (via ATL), and LIM-MAD (via ATL), full details in the first image bellow. The first leg is wholly operated by KML, and the rest are operated by DL. When I booked the flight I was looking at the baggage policy on DL's website, which says that main cabin for US-South America (except Ecuador and Guyana) is 2 bags, 50 lbs each. I bought the ticket focusing in the allowance of this segment, mainly, as I will be hauling a significant amount of books out of MSP to LIM. For the rest a sing bag of 50 lbs will do.

As soon as the flight was booked, I saw in the confirmation screen that each leg had an allowance of 1 bag of 50 pounds. So I thought, damn, I'll have to call DL, maybe it was the allowance of the first flight being shown as corresponding to the whole segment, which has happened before. The DL agent confirmed that for the South American bound segment she saw 1 bag –from MSP to ATL, and the same from there to LIM– with the second at $100. After hanging up, I received the confirmation email, which makes the scenario it a bit more confuse, giving me different allowances for the short haul flights and the long haul ones (second image).

Sorry for asking such a noob question, but I have been a OW guy for the last decade and minimized flying with DL (even though I've been based in MSP for a couple of years). I've flown light (i.e., carry-on only) with DL on domestic and TATL trips. I know my OW rules –which last time I checked– were that the longer (or TALT) segment determines the baggage allowance, but I don't want to asume that is the case here. Any insights of the DL FFs?