Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Baggage allowance on multi-city itinerary

Old Nov 21, 2018, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LATAMPass Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver Medallion

I've tried searching the forum but I can't find a thread with a similar case, so here it goes:

I just booked a flight for a MAD-MSP (via AMS), MSP-LIM (via ATL), and LIM-MAD (via ATL), full details in the first image bellow. The first leg is wholly operated by KML, and the rest are operated by DL. When I booked the flight I was looking at the baggage policy on DL's website, which says that main cabin for US-South America (except Ecuador and Guyana) is 2 bags, 50 lbs each. I bought the ticket focusing in the allowance of this segment, mainly, as I will be hauling a significant amount of books out of MSP to LIM. For the rest a sing bag of 50 lbs will do.

As soon as the flight was booked, I saw in the confirmation screen that each leg had an allowance of 1 bag of 50 pounds. So I thought, damn, I'll have to call DL, maybe it was the allowance of the first flight being shown as corresponding to the whole segment, which has happened before. The DL agent confirmed that for the South American bound segment she saw 1 bag –from MSP to ATL, and the same from there to LIM– with the second at $100. After hanging up, I received the confirmation email, which makes the scenario it a bit more confuse, giving me different allowances for the short haul flights and the long haul ones (second image).

Sorry for asking such a noob question, but I have been a OW guy for the last decade and minimized flying with DL (even though I've been based in MSP for a couple of years). I've flown light (i.e., carry-on only) with DL on domestic and TATL trips. I know my OW rules –which last time I checked– were that the longer (or TALT) segment determines the baggage allowance, but I don't want to asume that is the case here. Any insights of the DL FFs?
Old Nov 21, 2018, 5:33 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
The baggage allowance will, I think, be determined by the check in carrier's allowance for the location that the bag is being checked to. So, for the first flight, it should be KLM's international TATL policy. The other trips that are happening on other days are not technically relevant, but you could make your case at the airport I think.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
You have a U.S. destination - 3 days in MSP - so U.S. DOT single-allowance rules apply. The allowance of the marketing carrier of the first segment should apply- unless Delta chooses to apply MSC (which is allowed as an alternative on international itins).
Old Nov 21, 2018, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
All of your flights are marketed as DL. Thus regardless of if they go by first flight or MSC, it's DL policy. Each segment will follow the DL policy for the origin and destination for that portion.

Thus EU-US allowance for that portion, US-South America for the second portion, and South America-Europe for the final portion.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 6:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
The baggage allowance will, I think, be determined by the check in carrier's allowance for the location that the bag is being checked to. So, for the first flight, it should be KLM's international TATL policy. The other trips that are happening on other days are not technically relevant, but you could make your case at the airport I think.
This is incorrect.

US law is clear and has been since 2011.

The base baggage allowance for the marketing carrier of the first segment applies to the entire ticket. This does not apply to waivers for status, credit cards and the like and a carrier is free to exceed the allowance.

Without knowing the marketing carrier of the MAD-AMS segment, it is impossible to tell for sure, but it appears to be one bag. That allowance is guaranteed for the remaining segments. Anything above that is at the discretion of the operating carrier and that is why there are some segments with a second bag included and some not.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Hey, thanks for the many (and contradictory) answers! (Latin American humor, no offense intended, really!). I purchased the ticket directly from DL's website, if that is helpful.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Often1
This is incorrect.

US law is clear and has been since 2011.

The base baggage allowance for the marketing carrier of the first segment applies to the entire ticket. This does not apply to waivers for status, credit cards and the like and a carrier is free to exceed the allowance.

Without knowing the marketing carrier of the MAD-AMS segment, it is impossible to tell for sure, but it appears to be one bag. That allowance is guaranteed for the remaining segments. Anything above that is at the discretion of the operating carrier and that is why there are some segments with a second bag included and some not.
OP clearly posts that it is DL. The DOT rule doesn't require the same allowance on all flights. It requires that the allowances of the same airline apply throughout. Just because policy allows for one free bag on first flight doesn't mean the next flight also must get one. Instead the same airlines allowances must be used.
jdrtravel and MfromL like this.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for every comment. It seems I'll have to wait until January to find out that. Hopefully I'll have an agent who is having a nice day.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by flyerCO
OP clearly posts that it is DL. The DOT rule doesn't require the same allowance on all flights.
Your assertion seems to be in conflict with a DOT FAQ on the 2011 Passenger Protections act. Emphasis mine.

Does the requirement in section 399.87 to apply the same baggage allowances and fees throughout a passenger’s itinerary mean that the same exact fee needs to apply even for checked portions of a shorter duration? For example, if a carrier charges for each checked segment of an international flight, must the charge for each checked segment be the same or could the rules change if the second checked segment is shorter than the first? The same allowances (and fees, if any) that applied at the beginning of a passenger’s itinerary apply throughout that passenger’s entire itinerary.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 5:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by flyerCO
OP clearly posts that it is DL. The DOT rule doesn't require the same allowance on all flights. It requires that the allowances of the same airline apply throughout. Just because policy allows for one free bag on first flight doesn't mean the next flight also must get one. Instead the same airlines allowances must be used.
You have it completely wrong.

The law on this has been clear since 2011. It can be found at 14 CFR Section 399.87.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

No if you read the wording it says the same airlines allowances (Plural) apply throughout. It does not say the same allowance. Otherwise if you purchase J on outbound, but Y return you'd be entitled to the J allowance on the return.

Whatever allowances are provided in the policy apply throughout.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Looks I was mixing up the IATA rule with the US rule. The IATA rule does go as I stated. The same airline policy throughout, but each checkin gets the allowance from that policy.

The US rule goes by the marketing carrier of first segment or of the MSC. The carrier that checks you in determines which. Thus KLM can go by either DL policy for intra Europe flights or DL policy for EU-US. KLM forum is really where this needs to be asked. Most airlines go by the first flight. In which case only one is free. They might waive the 2nd bag fee since flying onwards to US. However only one bag is free at each subsequent checkin. If they go by MSC, then that's DL policy for EU-US and get 2 free.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Quick update:

-I got rerouted due to a snowstorm (that never arrived) with AF, and the baggage allowance was 23 kg/50 lb.
-MSP-LIM allowance was 23kg/50 lb, and I ended up paying the extra $100 for another bag.
-LIM-ATL allowance was 23 kg/50 lb.

Last edited by MfromL; Feb 16, 2019 at 12:31 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.