FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Forward Cabin Etiquette: Overhead Bin Space
Old Nov 21, 2018, 10:40 am
dulciusexasperis
Suspended

Originally Posted by strickerj
Yes, my point was more general, not specifically for first class, where the baggage fees don’t apply. I disagree though that removing the source of the conflict (in this case) will eliminate the conflict or not lead to new conflicts. I’m with the poster that advocated for removing the offenders rather than punishing everyone. Onboard storage, and being able to access your baggage while in flight, is a convenience that most flyers won’t want to give up, plus it frees up space in the cargo hold for freight. It doesn’t really make sense to me to get rid of overhead bins entirely (incurring considerable expense in the process) because a tiny minority of passengers fight over them.
Well we can agree to disagree on whether the better solution is to remove the offender or remove the reason for offenders offending. No bins, no cause to offend.

I can't buy your 'access your baggage while in flight' at all. That's being a bit disingenuous I'd say. No one wants to access their 'baggage' as in go through their clothing, toiletries etc. You carry essentials needed in flight in a small bag I'm sure strickerj. That's why the airlines list a carry-on plus 'personal article' usually and they are required to be able to fit under the seat, so no need for an overhead bin at all. I'm pretty sure you know that.
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/.../carry-on.html

Or are you trying to tell me that you see lots of people getting their roll-aboard suitcase out of the overhead bins during flight and rummaging through them to find something? LOL That dog won't hunt strickerj.