FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Forward Cabin Etiquette: Overhead Bin Space
Old Nov 21, 2018, 9:02 am
hurnik

Random observations and a story (LOL).

Once upon a time ... in a galaxy far away:
Partner and I are flying in F (I think Delta, but it may have been AA), in I believe row 2. We're in the middle of the group boarding, get on the plane and open the overhead bin (we each have a carry on and small backup that'll fit under the seat). Overhead bin has a guitar in it. I know whose it is because we saw it carried on (person in row 3). I ask the FA for assistance (I didn't want to move/touch said guitar). FA moved the guitar (although I don't remember if they asked whose it was) to the closet, which of course, freed up the room needed. I'd say everyone was "happy" but not sure. I vaguely recall the owner of said guitar looking concerned when the FA went to grab it, but nobody got upset (that I'm aware of).

Now, I normally fly with a backpack (like a school one, not like a hiking backpack) and a small carry on (swissgear something or other) as it'll hold my GoPro gear and stuff. Backpack will usually have my laptop and tablet (why both you ask, well laptop is for "power stuff" and tablet is for reading/movie watching whilst relaxing), along with all my meds and things that can't/shouldn't go in checked baggage.

Unfortunately because I mostly fly out of ALB (smalbany we call it), most of the planes are CRJ (although better than the old Dash-8 or whatever prop jobs--ugh), which of course, you can't hardly fit a jacket in the overhead bin (at least if you're on the 1-seat side in F). So in that case, gate checking is always necessary (and the fun begins to take out all the lithium ion batteries). But it depends on the aircraft and which side I'm sitting on. But I'm not alone in that situation, LOL.

But, also a lot of the jet service is on A319 or something where the first set of overhead bins has the safety gear and stuff, so the bulkhead people get doubly screwed (no underseat storage, and essentially they have to take up twice as much overhead bin space, in the row 2 overhead area). And then the row 2 people have to use the row 3 storage, etc.

There's probably no 100% solution to anything. Passengers can't control the aircraft type. Even with permitted # of carryon's and proper storage (ie, you put the big item in the overhead bin and the personal item under the seat), you can still run out of overhead space. Not everyone can put everything into something that'll fit underneath the seat.

Really the only thing that annoys me (in this situation--LOL) are the folks who bring in two large carry ons (rollaboards, etc. that are definitely larger than the "sizing" thingy that apparently nobody uses unless you're going through PHL and the random security folks get you), hog the space and then put ALL their stuff in the overhead bin so they can have more leg room.

But there are worse things in the world like an "Oasis-ized" AA flight (LOL).