FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Forward Cabin Etiquette: Overhead Bin Space
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:31 pm
yyznomad
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by fairhsa
Thanks for your comments. Yes, I agree that would have been the better way to deal with it in hindsight. I have a short temper, but it rarely lasts more than a minute or so. However it's triggered in the matter of a milli-second so there is rarely any time to chose an alternative path (I could digress, there is actually a lot of research on why people react "disproportionately" to various events in the current world which basically explains that its hard coded in the DNA for evolutionary reasons, but that would be a digression - this article is fascinating for anyone with an interest: https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a6847426.html). I calmed down very quickly and did not contribute to any of the ongoing "testiness" - which was entirely the partner of the other guy who (as I mentioned) came and told me she was going to try and get me "removed from the flight" and boy did she try hard. It was an oscar worthy performance. (I might have believed it myself if she hadn't come and viciously hissed at me beforehand). They lied and ranted and raved and it went on for any hour. Clearly that was a choice on their part. The minute I got over the initial snap (and it was less than a minute), and was back in control and capable of making a choice, I made the choice to sit down, shut up and refuse to escalate the situation. Then apologised when the staff asked me to (they just chose to yell insults at me when I did that), changed seats when asked to etc. I think that choosing to cause a disruption to everyone (which they did) is far worse than a brief lapse of judgement which was pretty much out of my control. Obviously I would, I do think that the environment we live in these days with heightened security and concerns with planes has left anyone in my situation (with a quick temper!) at a huge disadvantage - and basically at the mercy of the people like the other two who just wanted revenge for a perceived slight. I'm glad I was on an Asian airline from the perspective that Asians are far less likely to throw anyone off planes. On the other hand, they are also far less able to "tell" when one side has a motive.

(I would note to the other guy who was so upset that anyone would touch luggage, don't come and fly in Asia. It's extremely common for people to move your bag, touch your bag, even put it in another bin etc etc. The concept of "personal space" is very different there). That's not relevant to this debate as all parties were Australian.
You are brave for posting your story and responding to others.