FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA "Special Fare" (AA Vacations, TYP, MR, etc.) Questions, EQD, Issues (merged)
Old Nov 20, 2018, 6:27 pm
flyingeph12

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by HLCinCOU
Yeah, that happens regularly, has been reported in this very thread several times, and has happened to me (outbound DFW-HKG credited by distance, return credited by fare). But "credited by distance" is not the same as "credited as a special fare." The "credited by distance" category includes special fares, but also includes instances where AA's system just somehow lost the fare basis. This usually means something caused reticketing; I've had it happen because of IRROPs (most times), SDFC (rarely) and after applying SWUs (rarely); there may be other things that trigger it. If you look at your activity on AA's website you can tell the difference: if it says "Method: distance - data unavailable" they just lost the fare; if it was actually credited as a special fare it would say "Method: distance - special fare" instead.

The complexity of that situation makes it harder to interpret the data points. Most reports of this sort of thing just aren't precise enough to provide certainty about what really happened. People aren't looking at the fare rules and aren't paying close attention to how flights were credited. But I still haven't seen any cases where someone a)looked at the fare rules and validated the ticket was bulk and b)saw the flight get credited by fare instead of distance. I maintain skepticism that such things actually happen.
That's fair. I would agree that, in my experience, points/miles generally get credited in the way I would expect them to.

With Citi TYP bookings in particular, I don't have a ton of experience, which is why I referenced those other accounts. Of course, even if tickets with "bulk fare" in the fare rules should post as special fares, that doesn't necessarily mean the converse (i.e., the lack of "bulk fare" in the fare rules means it will post as fare) is true, right? In other words, will Citi bookings post as special fare only if the fare rules indicate it is a "bulk fare"?