FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - My First Premier Silver Upgrade Eligible Flight Question
Old Nov 17, 2018, 5:38 pm
emcampbe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by theboss7593
Wouldn't other elites already be upgraded at T-48, T-96 etc. if you have 8 seats open? I understand protecting a few seats but all 8 until the gate? Wouldn't it just be Silvers competing ? or possible last minute changers (upper elite) I don't know the system and just trying to understand it... If you read the TOD's thread I have zero problem paying for a TOD upgrade but given this is my first rodeo with UA Silver wanted to try it out..
maybe or maybe not. Depending on various factors, UA may clear upgrades at the various windows, and often doesn’t, and clears them closer in, sometimes doing them all (or most) at the gate. Why/when this happens is going to be pretty much a mystery - it just is what it is.

Youll hear folks typically say theyll leave 2 F seats open and clear them at the gate. I’ve seen it that way many times. I’ve seen others where they clear upgrades (or allow Paid upgrades) to the last seat in advance, and I’ve also seen where they hold back multiple seats. Even during the holidays, with a Y oversale, I’ve seen them ‘block’ F seats, to leave room to clear, and they do those all at the gate. And other times with the same where rev management appears to clear those on the list into ‘blocked’ F seats at some interval within T-24. It could be pretty mich anything.

Of course, YMMV.