FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The New Ansett - My Comments (long)
View Single Post
Old Jan 2, 2002, 9:15 pm
RichardMEL

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
Re: woo'ing the business pax is why Y+ will *not* work (IMHO). Consider, you need to jump on a plane with little notice. You go up to AN and you want to buy a full Y tix. Y+ seats have already sold out/been allocated, and there's no space in J. So you have to sit down the back in 22E. Is that going to win AN any repeat business? No! They'll think "gee, I might as well go on Qantas next time and possibly get bumped into J"(more J seats on the 767's than AN's 320'2/321's will provide). *however* if you have a MRTC concept, that last minute walk up pax is _assured_ of more comfort. If they want to pull out their laptop, they don't have to worry about not being able to work when the bozo in front reclines in their face if they have a few more inches of space in row 22.

That's the crux of my point as to why Y+ is bad (IMHO). Besides, how about the stories you hear every so often of pax on UA "moving up" to Y+ after the door is closed - that makes the value of the product next to nothing except if you can get it pre-assigned - and that won't include the last minute walk up pax (specially as AN domestic never did seat assignments in the past until checkin).

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.