FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ahoy, mileage runners! (Incl. immediate turnarounds)
Old Nov 9, 2018, 12:18 pm
intuition
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by kauppias
Where have you seen HKG for 65€???
It was an provocative and illustrative statement! But to be precise, there are the youth fares were earnings have been in this magnitude.

Originally Posted by kauppias
Got me thinking, I wonder what your reaction would be if AY announced that I fares on AY would only earn 50% ...
Check my stats and take a guess what I care...

But seriously, the comaprison with AY+ and I-fare is flawed. It is not about discounted fares, it is about the total strategy. SAS is more and more using the lowest price as strategy for Y in order to compete with LCC. In order to be able to do that, while being a HichCostCarrier, they need to cut all they can. Food, service, points, space, ... you name it.

There is just no way we are going to see lower and lower Y fares and still get fre bag, seat selection, food, drink, ...
We are likely to also see lowest Y fares even void all status perks too, just like BA has started to do. Light fares are not meant to be nice price bargains for frequent flyers. And I think you know this too