FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi Prestige USA refresh: 5X Air,Dine; 3X Hotel,Cruise; Hotel 4NF capped 2X/yr; $495
Old Nov 9, 2018, 7:51 am
BrockAdams

Programs: American ExPlat SPG Plat
Originally Posted by pinniped
But I gotta ask this: why do bloggers think these points are worth 1.5-1.7 cents each? The flight redemptions are not that high, and the list of transfer partners is paltry. I literally don't participate in a single program with which they have a transfer option.

Are the bloggers basing their valuations on one of those transfer programs? Is there one that is seen as superior to the others for someone who doesn't actually put their flight EQM's there as well? I know SQ is a great airline, but slow-crawling to an award via credit card transfers seems like too long of a bet on the future.

To date, I've redeemed TYP on short cheap flights via their portal. Stuff where redeeming a traditional miles award would not make sense.
I agree with this. I personally value TYP at the $0.0125 rate, haven't had any use for the transfer airlines yet. I have enjoyed using TYP as you described, typically where award availability is scarce or accompanied by large out of pocket taxes. I have done a couple of long haul flights on TYP, it was nice earning the EQMs for those and not being hampered by availability.

I will be keeping the card for my next AF cycle that begins July '19. I travel often and will easily get credits surpassing the AF. I used to be one of the hyper-users of the 4NF, in one year using it ~25 times. It was nice while it lasted but let's be real, it was too good to be true. That said, 2 4NF a year can still be valuable. This year I used it at the Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho this spring, when my rate was ~$600 / night. I got to stack the benefit w/ Luxury collection's 4th night free rate. 4 night's in Tokyo during cherry blossom season for nearly 50% off and I earn my SPG points for 4 nights? Hard to beat.