FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets
Old Nov 7, 2018, 1:29 pm
Dave Noble
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bluemoon68
Have a trip planned where our flight home is BA54 (JNB-LHR) departs 22.05. Final leg of a trip in first booked in the BA sale.

Had planned a trip around South Africa that sees us end up in Livingstone in the final days. As far as I can see there are only 2 flights from LVI to JNB, one SA and one BA, both depart around 1.30pm - leaving 9 hours to connect. All good if things go to plan, but the risk is if those flights are cancelled.

The other option is to take a flight the day before, giving more options if things go wrong, but a day in JNB is not attractive. Assume from this thread that BA wouldn't help.

Collective wisdom, would you risk it?
The issue is not thst there is 9 hours - even a long delay and you will be ok , but that there is no other flight should the flight have an issue and get cancelled.

The odds on the flight getting cancelled is likely quite low, but what are the change fees and likely availability if it does get cancelled

If it is free or low cost to change, I would take the risk - if it is a non changeable ticket , then I wouldn't want to take risk of having to buy a new ticket