FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Atlantic A350: Configuration confirmed
Old Nov 7, 2018, 2:23 am
CommanderB

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Gold, Virgin Trains Traveller, Her Majesties Secret Service.
Originally Posted by MarkP24
But is that route more profitable than others? I would assume JFK-LHR would be more profitable and more important. Why did they give the EWR route those prestigious flight numbers?
VS's maiden flight was LGW to EWR.

Now even though VS1 is LHR to EWR, the route remains significant due to EWR being the first destination of the company.

In terms of profitability, nobody outside of revenue management could tell you. But I have flown it a number of times and it is a popular route for a couple of reasons, first it's significantly more convenient for New Jersey than JFK is, so if your destination is on the other side of Manhatten to JFK, EWR is usually a good choice. Flight timing is also great. I love the late afternoon departure from LHR and the return is very reasonable as well, late evening in New York which gets you into LHR in the morning. Ideal for business travellers.