FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA to streamline Polaris Business service & cut FA staffing on some Intl routes
Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:57 pm
fezzington

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
I will say, I'm surprised at how the discussion has panned out so far here on FT. Some quick answers, apologies if I missed someone.

Originally Posted by fumje
Thank you for sharing this, but I am quite apprehensive about it. I can only picture a sad—or even sadder—state of affairs resulting.

As a passenger, Polaris service when introduced was a moderate improvement over the former BusinessFirst service. But even by last winter, it was slipping back, and by now I think we were better off with BF.

For FA's, do the unions not have any say in aircraft- or passenger-count-specific staffing levels? Service on the 77W is frantic already, and I appreciate how the FA's try to make do, but since they already seem one person short, I dread to think how it will go with one fewer.

Willing to bet that these 'key investors' do not regularly fly UA.
The 2012 Joint Agreement covers it to some extent. Full PDF is at https://unitedafa.org/contract/ -- A quick glance of page 58 shows that the minimum bid positions per fleet type closely mirror the FAA minimum crew. I've been told that negotiating higher minimum bid positions would have been immensely difficult, and would have cost quite a bit in terms of work rules.

There is currently a variable staffing model, where most widebodies will have 5/6 FAs in Polaris, and the variable staffing in the back is calculated with load factor triggers.

Originally Posted by EWR764
I wonder how many of these changes are influenced by the forthcoming 76L (46J 763 configuration)... that's a ton of J seats for a single 767 fwd galley, and if staffing is the same, it's going to be a pretty labor-intensive airplane to work. Couple that with short redeye sectors (eastbound LHR) and it's not surprising the company is looking for ways to accelerate the Polaris meal service.
The 76L is going to be a disaster, and I fully expect the 45th person (after the pilot rest seat is accounted for) to be served well after the 1st person is done with their entree and ready for desert -- no matter how fast you're going, there's just no way to serve that many people with the current service flow (even if the entrees are preplated)

Originally Posted by fumje
An actual FA could surely give better perspective, but from what I see the FAs do work very hard during the first two hours after takeoff and again somewhat in the hour before landing. In the middle of the flight there is not as much to do, but you can't 'surge-staff' the flight.
I won't do the whole plane, but here's what the eliminated premium position does every flight (in addition to safety checks/breifings/cabin coverage/etc):
  1. Prior to customer boarding, counts entrees in their galley and confirms special meal orders. (This is the only time that more food can be requested and realistically expected to show up in time for departure)
  2. During boarding, Checks for service items (3 tiered carts, glasses, mugs, plates, dessert cart setup, etc)
  3. Arranges ovens to accommodate the actual items needed to be cooked, including breads/nuts as well as plates/mugs (those are heated in an oven since they've sat in chilled carts for hours) -- the galley packing is currently horrid, and requires extensive rearranging or things will be inaccessible at times you need them.
  4. Sets ovens as the last thing prior to takeoff.
  5. Immediately after FAs get up, helps the two aisle FAs to set up their drink carts, passes them the nuts, linens, & hot towels.
  6. while aisle FAs are serving drinks, the galley is getting two appetizer carts ready with bread -- a good galley is also taking off the plastic covers from every part of the tray setup (as an aside, there's a ton of waste plastic every flight). Also helps by running out things the aisle FAs run out of (commonly, glasses) or don't have on the cart (chapagne flutes)
  7. When aisle FAs return with the drink cart and take appetizer/tray setup cart out, begin building the desert carts and have galley area ready for entree prep.
  8. Aisle FAs finish tray pass out, tray carts get broken down. Aisle Fas begin collecting appetizer dishes
  9. Plate all entrees for B Zone. Entree plating begins as soon as first row of that zone is ready (app dishes cleared out).
  10. As plating winds down, finish prepping for desert. have fudge and caramel warm, sundae toppings ready, and coffe and hot water in the carafes.
  11. Clean up the mess
Then, during the cruise part of the flight, the B zone galley coordinates pilot meals on some aircraft.

I'm much too lazy to type out the pre-arrival meal service, but the galley person is still very much the quarterback of that three person team. Also, only two or three of those steps are saved by pre-plated entrees. Someone still has to do all the other stuff.

Originally Posted by zymm
"However, on the 787-8 and -9, American operates with one fewer Flight Attendant than United."

And there are 28 v. 36 J seats on the 787-8 and 30 v. 48 J seats on the 787-9. So yeah, it's almost like you need fewer FAs when you have fewer pax.
What's the total load like? Also, there are some rumblings of those figures being cherry picked and not totally accurate information. I haven't flown AA in some time, so I can't tell.