FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA to streamline Polaris Business service & cut FA staffing on some Intl routes
Old Nov 6, 2018, 8:03 am
EWR764

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by narvik
Sort of agree, but my concern is the downward spiral:

FAs: "We are overworked. Please lessen our load."
UA: "Okay, we'll streamline food service."
FAs: "Thank you."
UA: "Since we streamlined food service we're cutting one FA."
FAs: "We are now overworked with one less FA. Please lessen our load."
UA: "Okay, we'll streamline xxx service."
FAs: "Thank you."
UA: "Since we streamlined xxx service we're cutting one FA."
and so on....
I think that's fair. IMO, the "Polaris 2.0" service standards, which were rolled out last year, were about making the service less labor-intensive, because United has generally reduced FA staffing over the last few years, and FAs weren't happy with the workload. Instead of adding positions on most aircraft, which was the desired effect, the service was modified. Hence, fewer passes through the aisle, a bar cart rather than hand-run drinks, preset tray service, combined salad/appetizer, etc.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Cutting FA staffing won't make meal service any quicker.
I don't think this is axiomatic. Pre-plated entrees need to be heated, foil removed, and run to pax seats. The alternative of plating meals from constituent parts is a more time-consuming process (though potentially a more appealing presentation... but not always).

Certain things, like a separate salad cart, separate cheese cart, hand-run drinks all extend the service. Premium cabin aisle positions aren't being cut, so I don't think we'll see a meaningful decline in the pace or quality of the already watered-down Polaris meal service.

I am not happy about the changes, but don't look at this as necessarily a cutback to the Polaris service. It's a bad thing because it's a reduction in staffing. I disagree categorically with inflight staffing cuts and think this move should be framed as such, which is a negative in its own right.

Last edited by EWR764; Nov 6, 2018 at 8:09 am